Chapter 11 - Secure

"Christine!"

Kain's voice caused my eyes to open slightly. The hands around my neck loosened for a moment as I saw him look up. Within the next ten seconds everything seemed to happen in a slow motion occurrence of events. Kain pulled the man off of me and I could breathe again. I rolled on my side and placed my hands on my neck, gasping for air. I heard the man yell out a Gaelic curse before a gut-wrenching succession of snaps and cracks silenced him.

"Are ye' mad?!" Kain yelled, stabbing his sword into the ground. "I told ye' to go back to the keep and find my brothers, did I no?! Ye' could have died, lass!"

I thought for a moment that he was going to attack me now as his tall stature loomed over me. I curled up, trying to fight off the pain in my chest. That guy must have snapped a rib or something because that pain felt like it was more than just bruises.

I remained in silence, both speechless and ashamed to even be here. I knew I should have listened. Of course he didn't—he wouldn't—understand why I came back. But luckily I still could barely breathe and that kept me from speaking out against him.

"'Tis this?" Kain asked as he knelt down in front of me. I watched him, still gasping for breath. My eyes widened as I saw him pick up my homemade weapon, examining it in silence. "Did ye' make this?"

I nodded. "Two," I croaked out before falling into a fit of coughs. God, was my pain never going to end? I sat saw up slowly, keeping one hand on my neck as though it would help me stay breathing. "The other is lodged in one of their ribs. Don't you see?" I looked at him, though it was difficult to do so since my vision was still black at the edges. "Your brothers aren't even here yet. If I hadn't come back, that man would have stabbed you in the back and killed you!" I gasped and coughed, placing a hand on my chest as the air once again escaped from my lungs. I felt myself fall over, though I did not hit the ground. When my eyes opened again, Kain was supporting me, though his face was stony and his eyes once again cold.

"If ye' had listened," he said quietly. "Ye' would not be this way."

I closed my eyes, not wanting to deal with his pride. "You're welcome," I muttered spitefully, through I fell into coughing again. I tried to move away from him, but he placed a hand on my chest to stop me.

"Be still," he growled darkly. Knowing it would be in my better interest to listen, I remained in my place. I heard the rumble of hooves approaching, making me stiffen slightly. In fear, I thought they were coming back. But when Kain didn't stand or move me, I felt my body relax.

His brothers are coming, I thought. We're safe now.

I let myself drift off, not caring that I passed out in his arms. At least when I was asleep I wouldn't feel any pain.

                            ««❀»»

When I woke, the first thing I saw was the ceiling of stone followed by curtains. The curtains around me were drawn and blocked out the flickering light of a candle somewhere beside the bed I was resting in. I sighed and reached up, rubbing my eyes warily. Wait... if there were candles, was it nighttime? I sat up slowly, but pain shot across my torso and neck and I collapsed back down. I felt sweat beading on my forehead. I looked around, trying to figure out where I was and exactly how I got here.

I noticed a figure on the other side of the curtain, my body stiffening in response. Who was that? With shaking hands I reached up, my fingers fumbling for the curtain. When I managed to pull it aside, I hadn't been happier to see anyone in the world.

"Ivan," I gasped weakly, immediately noticing the pain in my throat. He looked up, a smile gently coming onto his lips. He pulled his chair closer as he closed a book in his lap.