The Proposal

(A/N: Alrighty, everyone. I'm mostly sure y'all saw this coming. It's something that I absolutely need to write. I always wonder what a Kunikidazai double proposal would look like, so naturally I took it upon myself to write one. I will be writing a next part for this oneshot, but not just yet. I need time to prepare for it and make sure it's well-written, y'know?Now without further ado, enjoy!)

It had been a few years now since Kunikida and Dazai had started dating and a couple more years since they'd become partners, first in the coworker sense, and later in the romantic sense. For the most part, things had gone very well between them throughout the years with the exception of Dazai's suicide attempts, Kunikida's habit of overworking, and the occasional argument. Both of them considered that a major accomplishment for despite it all, they really did love each other.

Now that it had been five years come tomorrow since they started dating, both Dazai and Kunikida wondered if now would be a good time to take the next step. They hadn't actually brought it up to each other just yet though, not quite sure what the other would think. They hoped to be on the same page, but they had no way of knowing unless they actually talked. Which they would do. Eventually. When they were ready. Not that they knew when that would be.

The next day, Dazai and Kunikida were wrapped up in their individual thoughts on how to best proceed with a potential proposal, so much so that the fact that today was their anniversary almost completely slipped their minds.

The first shock for Kunikida came when he saw Dazai...working?! Was he dreaming?! Who was that and what had he done with Dazai? No, this is a good thing, Kunikida told himself.

Little did he know though that Dazai was not actually working. In fact, the bandaged man was writing out some proposal ideas (truth be told, he'd sort of picked up that habit from Kunikida). He wanted to think up the perfect proposal for his perfect boyfriend. But he wasn't quite sure how to go about it. He considered asking someone for advice. However, he didn't know if anyone could give advice as perfect as Kunikida, and that was the one person he couldn't ask because it would defeat the whole purpose of it being a surprise.

Kunikida walked over to Dazai.

Dazai panicked and quickly hid his page of ideas. "Oh...Kunikida, hi! What brings you here?"

"Nothing, I was just surprised to see you working," Kunikida replied, silently taking note of Dazai's action.

"Yep! I've decided that I should take some pointers from you and try to learn to be more responsible," Dazai announced.

Kunikida smiled a little. "That's good."

"Credit goes to you. You're the one who takes the time to try and help me take my job more seriously."

"Well, I sure do try. And I'm glad to see it's starting to pay off."

"It sure is!"

"Alright well, I'll let you get back to work now."

"Thanks!"

"You're welcome." Kunikida went back to his desk. That was a bit strange...but hey, maybe Dazai is actually starting to be more responsible now.

After making sure Kunikida was distracted, Dazai pulled out his paper again and looked at it, debating on what idea was best.

Kunikida looked up from his paperwork and over at Dazai for a minute, still confused over the way Dazai had been acting. Dazai hadn't been mean or anything, but a small part of Kunikida started to wonder if Dazai simply just didn't want to talk to him. No, don't think like that. Maybe he really was trying to work...