"Yes. That is my knife." I choke out the words and my face burns.

"The knife you used to murder my Tranquillity." He throws the words at me, laced with poison. "Then you almost murdered the prince, too."

I shift my weight, grimacing at the thought of the nasty wound on Ruben's shoulder.

He blows out his nose, and his lips curl, showing off his pointed, yellowed canines. "Our kingdom relies on the function of a delicate balance. If you break the balance, we will lose everything we know. Everyone has a place and rules to follow. In committing the heinous crimes, you have defied me. With the growing tensions across the river, I must make an example of your crimes."

He rises and stalks down the stairs, the clack, clack, clack of his boot rattling in my head. The king sticks his chin into the air, but his gaze on me doesn't waver. A phantom blade runs, icy, down my blade.

"If a scrawny girl from the village can dare to kill a Tranquillity, who is to say others will not follow? Who is to say others will not try to kill more of my Tranquillity?" His brows form an arch, and he clasps his hands in front of his like he's trying to withhold some feral, gnashing beast.

"It was an accident, your majesty," I blurt out. I wish I could catch the words and stuff them back in my mouth.

He breathes a laugh and his lip twists into a snarl. "Don't lie to me," he says, voice a low hiss. "Was it an accident when you threw the knife at my son? It was almost cold-blooded murder."

"As opposed to the rotting potatoes in the Convex fields. That isn't murder?" My nails dig into my palms, and I mirror the king's bull-like stance.

Something utterly wild and... grief-stricken flashes across the king's eyes.

"Elle, shut up," Ruben mutters.

He bears his teeth and his throat bobs as he swallows bodily. "Do you know what lies beyond those mighty walls, Elle?" The way he spits my name makes me want to gag, or curse, or hurl my fist at his smug face.

"I have another idea," Ruben says, clearing his throat.

The king smiles, but his eyes glint with creeping malice. "What could be more fitting than what I described?"

Ruben fidgets with his finger behind his back. "We make her become a Tranquillity."

The king blinks at Ruben before tossing his head back, laughing with such force I flinch. "A Tranquillity?" he bellows, wiping a tear.

"Think about it." Ruben straightens his back and takes on a steady, demanding tone only a prince could have mastered. "We show the Convex she is one of us now. Show them her loyalty, and their loyalty should be with you. Think of her as a symbolic bridge, connecting the Convex people with us, not pitting them against us."

He narrows his eyes, prowling around us like a slithering snake. "There is something else, isn't there, son?"

"Yes," Ruben says, glancing at me.

I tilt my head, pursing my lips together. Did I miss something?

"Elle will marry me," Ruben says.

I almost implode. My knees wobble and my chest swells with panic that dribbles out into the hall in the strangest form. Giggles.

Both men glare at me as I stuff the chuckles back into my mouth and shove a nonchalant expression onto my face. I wonder if they can hear my untamed heart. My teeth scrape together, and frustrated tears prickle my eyes. But I blink them away and push past the scream scalding my tongue.