Chapter Nine: A Crowded Carriage Ride

Start from the beginning

There. She grinned at her handiwork. It was a hairstyle, albeit a simple one. Nothing too scandalous, but perhaps Taelan would like it.

Still smiling, she unlocked the door and walked out into the hallway. Voices carried up the stairs from the dining room, all but one of them male. The thick accent and bossy volume of the wife innkeeper was unmistakable, cutting through the otherwise low drone.

Alori contemplated waiting at the top of the steps for a hand. Once someone realized she had emerged from her room, any number of the men would offer up their arm. Taelan's help would be welcome, but she was more inclined to enjoy the look on his face when she appeared before him unexpectedly, so she lifted the hem of her second-day traveling gown with both hands and began to descend.

Through the gaps in the stairwell above the landing she spied several people standing around the dining room below. One of the fairer heads, one she vaguely recognized, turned her way as she transitioned to the lower flight of stairs.

"Princess Alori! Please, allow me," the man exclaimed, all but leaping to the ground level landing to meet her, his long, muscular arm thrust toward her.

It was the bard who had tied her blindfold at the start of yesterday's performance. The tall, bulky blond.

Phillip, wasn't it? Or was it Theo?

One of his blue eyes had a tendency to twitch, and he carried a book tucked under his armpit. Alori schooled her annoyance and allowed him to assist her in crossing the room, despite the absurdity of the gesture. She was anything but a weak damsel in distress.

"Thank you." She hoped her smile looked authentic as she extricated her hand from his custody, but she had her doubts.

"Thelix was on an errand in town yesterday, and like us he was stuck in the storm." Taelan's deep, silky voice drifted over her shoulder. "He ended up in one of the rooms off the back, along with your footman and driver."

Alori was so flustered, she hadn't noticed Taelan step up behind her until she felt his hand settle against her back. She was surprised he would touch her while others looked on, but she found his confidence appealing. His presence by her side made her feel safe and supported, like they were a team.

Thelix bowed stiffly. His moppish hair fell into his face, grazing his ruddy cheeks. "Your Highness, I was hoping... if it isn't too much of an inconvenience, that is, might I beseech your hospitality for a ride back to the academy?"

Alori darted nervous glances between the two bards. If she granted Thelix's request, she'd lose time alone with Taelan. Now that she'd set her mind on the future, there was a lot to discuss, and she was eager to get started. There was the kissing she'd been looking forward to as well. But she wasn't the type of princess to put her own comfort above the wellbeing of others, no matter how enticing the temptation.

"I would be happy if you joined us, Thelix. There's plenty of room in the coach." She did her best to hide her reluctance behind a mask of smiling geniality.

"In the coach?" Thelix's twitchy blue gaze froze on her, widening in surprise. "Thank you, my lady. I'd expected to bear the elements between your footman and driver, but the coach will certainly be warmer. I humbly accept your offer!"

Alori cringed behind her glove. Her empty stomach churned with regret. In her attempt to exude graciousness, she had exceeded Thelix's own expectations. She could have had her romantic carriage ride with Taelan, but she'd botched the opportunity.

Why wasn't she smarter, more astute? A queen needed to be both of those things. Alori needed to be the kind of woman men wouldn't dare attempt to take advantage of, not a sheltered young girl whose motivations were likely as transparent as the magical shield she tended in the sky.