"Why? Isn't it a good idea? It's like carrying a clock with you at all times. Besides, Jungkook's so forgetful. He's never on time for things."

He shrugs. "If that's what you really think, Queen."

...fine.

I place the watch back. Then I look around, for something that might catch my eye when I see a glittering pair of sapphire crystals.

Couple rings. And they're so gorgeous, with each one being carved to fit perfectly against each other.

Perfect for him and Arlen.

"V!" I call, gently taking the box off the shelf to show it to him. I turn around excitedly.

"What about th—"

My words cut off as I find myself inches away from him. He's so close— so close that the tip of my nose almost touches his chest. He looks down at me, eyes falling on the ring box.

"That's better."

I can't even back away, with the counter right behind me.

"Um, g-great." I say, shimmying to turn back around. I can still feel the heat of his presence right behind me as I smile at the vendor.

"Can I get this, please?"

V moves away, to look at something else.

"Thank you." I say softly, as the vendor passes me the wrapped gift box. Then I call to V, that I have everything that I need.

He tilts his head. "No flowers?"

Oh shoot. I'd forgotten about the flowers.

"We can pick some from the Palace garden." I suggest, just wanting to get back as fast as possible. "Probably roses— they're the ones in high bloom right now."

He nods.

_______________________________

The walk back had been silent and awkward.

But now we're at the garden, hoods down. And I'm silently and awkwardly picking the prettiest roses from the rose bush when I hear V whisper.

"Rinei."

"Huh— I mean yeah?"

And I'm about to turn towards him when I feel a stinging pain in my fingertip. I quickly glance down, to see blood welling from a shallow cut.

From the rose thorn. Darn.

"Yeah? Did you call me?" I repeat, looking at him with my hand clasped together. I'd turned my hands so he wouldn't be able to see, but somehow he knows. His eyes are fixed on it.

"Come closer."

"...why?" I say, adding an awkward laugh at the end. "I'm almost done picking. Probably just one or two more and I—"

"Just come." He says, a bit of impatience in his tone as he grips my wrist and tugs. Then before I even realize, he's opened my palm to him.

"Is this from the roses?"

"Yeah, but I'm fine." I say quickly, already inching back my hand little by little. "I'll just get a bandage or something, you know. It's not—"

"Rinei."

His voice is cold. And firm.

"I think you're mistaking something." He says, swiftly wiping the blood away with the hem of his cloak. He wraps the cloth around the cut, pressing down hard.

His eyes meet mine.

"I do not love you."

...huh?

"You don't?"

"No."

"So stop acting like you're walking on glass around me," He scowls, unraveling the cloak from my finger. "It's actually becoming painful to watch."

Oh.

Oh.

I burst into laughter. Now everything just feels so stupid— how conscience I'd been. He'd been probably laughing at me the entire time we'd been together for today.

I'd been worrying over nothing.

"Sorry," I giggle, clapping his back. "I just thought— I just completely got this wrong, didn't I? It's just that if you really do love me, it makes things a little complicated. Because you and Taehyung—"

He breathes, cutting me off. "I know."

Wow, Rinei.

"Sorry." I repeat, laughing again. "I'll stop bringing this up— you should come with me to give this to Jungkook and Arlen, V. It'll be nice, I promise."

He shakes his head.

"I'll be in our room if you need me."

And I blink, staring at his back as he walks away, to the opposite direction of where Jungkook and Arlen is. My eyes flicker down to the rings in my hands.

Honestly.

I don't know whether to feel more embarrassed or relieved right now.

______________________________

V

Damn it.

This girl.

My lip pulls in a scowl. And my steps grow faster, a storm over my gaze. I want to take someone— anyone— string them up in a tree and hear them cry and scream for help.

She avoided me like the plague, didn't she?

If I hadn't done that.

If I hadn't said that, would she have ever smiled at me again?

Kim Taehyung, lucky bastard.

I can feel him. His soul— the soul of the one she loves. I could so easily crush him. So easily kill him, or at least stall him from ever seeing the outside world again.

My lip curls.

He was lucky she loved him.

And he was lucky that I loved her.

My steps echo cold and quiet.

I needed to stop loving her.