The Twenty-Fourth Voyage

Start from the beginning

"Of course! I would love too!!" Grabbing my violin, I walked out to the deck. Sailors were still working diligently. Near the mast, I sat on a large wooden barrel, before I placed my violin up on my shoulder. "Is there anything you'd like in specifics?" The shook their heads.

"Well... perhaps ya could sing somthin' about our king!" One spoke before going back to work. I tried to think of a song, before settling on the one I was working on in my quarters. 'But what should I sing about regarding Sinbad?' I pondered, 'I'm still pretty mad about him getting madly drunk with me... Perfect.' Getting back into position I started.

"What will we do with a drunken sailor? What will we do with a drunken sailor? What will we do with a drunken sailor? Early in the morning!" I sang starting to play the tune, "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!" After this line, one of the sailors piped in.

"Shave his belly with a rusty razor! Shave his belly with a rusty razor! Shave his belly with a rusty razor! Early in the morning!!" He sang as the others joined in for the chorus. "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!"

"Put him in a long boat 'til he's sober! Put him in a long boat 'til he's sober! Put him in a long boat 'til he's sober! Early in the morning!!" Another sang, "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!" Playing a quick interlude of violin, I seemed to impress most of the sailors.

"Stick him in the scrubber with a hosepipe on him! Stick him in the scrubber with a hosepipe on him! Stick him in the scrubber with a hosepipe on him! Early in the morning!!" Another one added, as everyone else joined in, "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!"

"Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter! Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter! Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter! Early in the morning!!" One of them winked, as I continued to play the song with great vigor. I made a few mistakes every so often. But they continued to sing along anyway, "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!"

"That's what we do with a drunken sailor! That's what we do with a drunken sailor! That's what we do with a drunken sailor! Early in the morning!!" I sang before the final couple of lines were coming up. "Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Way hay and up she rises! Early in the morning!!" By then, we had definitely caught Sinbad's attention. He walked out to the main deck to see his sailors either working vigorously, or dancing as if they didn't have anything else to do. After the song ended, the men cheered, before I started the song again. Sinbad didn't see a reason to ruin the fun, so he walked right back to his desk, continuously hearing the same tune for five more hours.

Returning to his office for a private dinner, I sat down on one of the chairs, before he handed me my plate. During the meal, he hummed Drunken Sailor to himself, as I listened quietly. "The songs of me, isn't?" He questioned, as an embarrassed hue covered my cheeks.

"N-No..." I responded, stuffing more food into my mouth.

"Don't worry, I quite like the piece." This man worried me way too much. Nevertheless, I was mildly happy. As we ate, I couldn't help but let my anxieties take over once more, "Is everything alright?"

"Oh! Yeah, yeah... um, I'm just wondering what I'll be doing in Sindria." Sinbad didn't even bat an eye to the question, so I continued, "Is there... a loophole in the treaty?" At this he gave me a quick 'no.' "Alright. What will I be expected to do in Sindria?"

"I'll tell you at a later time. In that time, why don't you relax and take time to really experience Sindria. Not as a diplomate, but as a citizen." I didn't understand what he was insinuating when he said 'citizen.' I only grew more concerned as the minutes passed us by. "Now, let's change the subject. The dress you were sewing... is it for you?" Nodding as an answer, he continued, "By the stitching on it, I know it means a lot to you." He was trying. I had to give him that. Sinbad, though far from simple minded, was simple in interests. He loved women, alcohol, and adventures. Boring things like sewing, embroidery, and everything of that nature didn't appeal to him.

"Well... my mother started working on it, once upon a time. But when my father died, she broke down and stopped all of her hobbies. I couldn't even begin to imagine all the pain she was going through. I decided to finish it for her in her stead." I explained briefly, "Let's talk about something more interesting, Sinbad. What about your parents? What were they like?" He froze up at this, not wishing to answer. "S-Sorry. We don't have to-"

"It's alright, (Y/N). I promised to talk about this when the time came." Though unsure, I let him continue, "I was born into a small village in the Parthevia Empire, named Tison Village. My father was a veteran that served his country well. He had lost a leg and gained many scares. From what I can remember... he was a good man, who stuck to his beliefs with an iron grip. As days pass... I remind myself of him. While my mother was the kindest woman you would ever meet. Even at the end of her life, she told me to follow my heart and to go accomplish a mission that seemed never ending." I smiled as he talked, nonverbally giving him the confidence, before I asked him what happened to his father. "When I was five... maybe even six years old, my father was drafted to fight a war that brought poverty to all of Parthevia. I would never see him again after that moment." It was truly awful. Sinbad didn't talk about his father all that much, but I had no idea it was because he lost him at such a young age. "As for my mother... I lost her at the age of fourteen."

"That young?" I questioned, as he nodded his head in affirmation. I wished that I wouldn't have spoken of the subject at all. I wanted to ask more questions, but I wasn't sure how much Sinbad could handle. He was strong, but I didn't wish to rub salt on his wound any longer. "Thank you."

"What for?" He asked.

"For telling me." Offering him a quick smile, I noticed that both of our plates were empty, "I'm going to take these back to the kitchen. Would you like me to come back?"

"Of course, you're my honored guest, (Y/N). Why would you think such a thing?" Not answering his question, I closed the door behind me, before delivering the plates into the kitchen. I felt odd, walking back to his office, knowing that I had asked of him a very personal question. I re-entered the room, before dead silence filled the void. A week or so later, we would arrive in Sindria. I still had little to no idea what my purpose there was, but the determination to find out was high.