twenty-two

Inez

I lay on the couch, trying to pick another movie to watch on tv. The popcorn bowl sits on my lap as I do so and I feel the remote being snatched out of my hand.

I groan, turning to Alisha. "Give it back."

"No, you've been like that for like a week. Get up."

She pulls me up my hands so I manage to get up, "What do you want?" I ask her.

"Don't ask questions, I'm giving you a makeover today and bringing you somewhere with me." She throws an arm over my shoulder, leading me to my room.

"Alisha-"

"Uh uh uh, I said don't ask questions. It's your special day and you're just sitting around." She sits me down in front of my vanity and I sigh.

Maybe she was right, I needed to get out. Unnecessarily staying home just because I didn't feel like it wasn't right.

She brings a piece of short black fabric which seems to be a dress as she brought it closer, she puts it over my chest and hands it to me.

"Put this on."

I head to the bathroom to change into it, it's a short black dress with a triangle shaped cutout by my chest, showing an insane amount under it. Both sides don't have sleeves, small straps keeping it intact, and one arm warmer that I slid on my right arm.

 Both sides don't have sleeves, small straps keeping it intact, and one arm warmer that I slid on my right arm

^ the dress

-

I step out of the bathroom, "Alisha I don't know if I should be wearing this-"

Her eyes light up, "Are you kidding me? You look hot."

"Thank you, I literally love you." I wrap my arms around her and she continues to compliment me, I wonder how I ever thought I looked bad at all.

"I don't want this back, keep it." She tells me, I try to deny it but she continues to change the topic.

I had known that Alisha was good at makeup, but not this good. She made me look so much better than I did an hour ago, you wouldn't even have guessed that I was in my couch almost about to cry.

Alisha was wearing a white dress with sheer bell sleeves and an open back, I still had no idea where we were going but she said not to ask so I didn't bother.

We show up to this hotel where a party is taking place, the strobe lights come in my vision as we walk in.

Heels made me seem taller than I already was, I liked that feeling even though I was already pretty tall.

We sit at a table and an extravagant sign sits in the middle of it that read 'Alisha Pierce' in cursive.

"This place is so beautiful." I stared in awe of the area, "Wow." I wasn't aware of what was going on but I loved it.