Chapter 21: The Hot Han Files

John Han

I gave Jax the printed map. He looked it over briefly and then we pulled off.  I couldn't help but look in the rearview, I  glance at my bike for as long as I could.

"Tell me about her, John."

"Takara?" I sit back in my seat and buckle up my seatbelt.

"Yeah. How did you two first meet?"

I inhale and exhale slowly. The first time we met wasn't good. It was right after the substitute science teacher assumed I would get an A on the test because I was Asian. Oh, she didn't say it out loud of course-- just little things and sayings.

She maybe didn't mean it, but it put me in a foul mood most of the day...

Until I met HER.

***

1 Year Ago

I felt someone watching me as I drank from the fountain. I just needed a moment to myself.  The substitute teacher Mrs. Planks or Franks or whatever, winked at me when I handed in my assignment. She muttered under her hotdog water breath: "I know you passed this with flying colors."

She didn't know me.

She doesn't know what I know.

She's been with us for a week while our real teacher healed from a car accident. I notice she treated me better and differently than she did the other students and it created a sort of extra fan club of haters for me.

Particularly with the guys.

I finished drinking and when I turned around, I began to feel a buzz along my neck before I registered who was there in front of me.

A girl.

A Black girl with big puffy hair, cheeks stained with light blush. A shirt that couldn't hide her sexy cleavage. It was a black shirt with some anime characters on it.

Her jeans hugged her in all the right places.

She was like some chocolate dream in front of me, but then the vision was blocked. I blinked, coming back to my senses.

Green eyed Luna Marks, turned her nose up at Takara and threaded her arm through mines. I whispered loudly to her no way would I be caught with something like Takara. 

A thing like that.

The harsher I spoke about Takara, the bigger Luna and Mira's smile grew.

Yes, the girls teased Takara and I joined in.

I never had such a strong reaction to another girl before.

Never.

I liked Mira, of course. Everyone liked Mira. It was hard not to: she was popular, blonde, and pretty.

Days at Glory Haven High were spent with me hanging with different girls or going over my friend's home. Trying to work on some beats at the house, etcetera etcetera.

The hours at school were never boring with Takara around though.

Once, she left this big ol' notebook in history class after running out holding her stomach. It goofy little red and white hearts on it, but the landscape she drew in black ink was excellent. She knew a lot about landscape drawing and maybe perspective. She's mastered perspective.

I pick up the notebook.

"That's yours, Mr. Han?" sir Dumphries asks.

"No. A friend's. I gotta run and give this to her."