Chapter two: The crash

(Crash Site:2 hours later)

John blinked weakly as everything was blurry for him. He could also feel immense pain in his chest and head as it felt like someone detonated a nuke on him. He then slowly opened his eyes to see he was still strapped into the pilot seat which was sitting at an angle along with the rest of the aircraft.

He took a few slow breaths as he struggled to raise his head and see what was in front of him. As his head came to rest with the back of the seat he saw it was currently day time and saw that it was about mid day by the position of the sun.

He then tried to shift his body slightly, but gasped as a sharp pain flooded his chest. He then hesitantly looked down, only to see a piece of metal about seven inches long and about four inches wide sticking out his abdomen on the left side.

He gave a groan as he slowly raised his left hand to grasp it, but immediately let go as the pain shot through him like a bullet. He turned his head away as he took quick deep breaths as he then raised his hand once more. He slowly wrapped his hand around the twisted piece of metal as his breathing now was like that of a dog panting.

He gritted his teeth as with one quick thrust of his arm he pulled the metal out which was in him about six inches.

He dropped the blood-stained metal as he then brought his right hand to cover the now open wound, before once again trying to pull himself out of the chair. He once again gritted his teeth as on the fourth try he successfully got to his feet as he lent against the controls in front of him. He then weakly grasped the wall next to him as dizziness from the pain began to set him as he knew he had to deal with this wound and possibly the many others that were on him. He slowly staggered his way down the hall of the aircraft before he reached a section where a bunch of drawers were located.

'Please let everything still be in here.' He prayed as he began opening the draws, and to his shock saw the med kit exactly where it was supposed to be.

He then very hastily removed it from the drawer, before sliding down on the floor. His first attempt at opening the med kit was unsuccessful as his hands shacked to much to open the latch that held it closed. Mark took several deep breaths before trying once again as he brought his hand to the latch. His thumb missed it on his first two tries but on his third try his thumb caught it, and unhooked it. Unfortunately, though he lost his grip and the contents of the kit spilled out onto the floor.

'Fuck!' he thought as he struggled to grab the items while still holding his wound.

Weakly he grabbed the items and scanned over them to see if they were intact. He found a few surgical tools, which all looked to be alright. Some bandages, still in its packaging, and a needle and nylon thread.

Taking a deep breath, he removed the clothes from his chest in order to get at the wound. He then scanned over the surgical tools and took a pair of abdominal retractors as he placed the ends into his wound, which caused him to clinch his teeth in pain. He took a few deep breaths as he slowly opened the wound in order to see inside of it.

Hesitantly he looked down to see if there was any shrapnel in it and upon inspection saw a few sharp pieces and grunted as he reached for a pair of haemostatic forceps. Slowly he pulled one piece out at a time before removing the final one with a face of sheer pain. He then let go of both tools before grabbing the needle and thread as he braced himself for the pain he was about to feel. Taking one final deep breath he inserted the needle through the wound which caused him to gasp as pain surged through him.

John gritted his teeth as he put the needle through him one final time before reaching for the scissors to cut the thread. He then reached for the bandages as he wrapped them around himself to cover the wound.