four.

Sayanni Janae Wilson | Chicago IL
two months later

"Where you want her stroller, Yanni?" Kylah asked as she and Amina slowly walked up the apartment stairs, lighter parts of the stroller that they could lift over their heads

"I told y'all to leave it outside so we can put it together later, "Sayanni replied, pointing at the two girls as she put Harmoni back into her car seat, moving it toward the far end of the couch so no one would trip over her.

The two girls looked at each other and then at Sayanni, huffing as they stomped up the rest of the way, putting the parts they were lifting on the porch.

They had been home for about three months or so, and Sayanni thought she was finally ready and able to move back into her small apartment.

Thankfully with the money her mother left, Sayanni could get a small two-bedroom bath apartment in one of the few safer parts of Chicago.

For the last two months, Sayanni had been living with her grandmother just to get back into the swing of things and make sure she could do the whole parenting thing by herself. It took a bit of getting used to, but she eventually got it.

Her body had changed entirely. Her hips had spread tremendously, and her butt had gotten rounder. She was finally filling out in a few sparse places. Of course, she missed her body before her pregnancy, but she was starting to love her new body so much more.

Sayanni huffed, pulling a box of baby clothes through the front door and into Harmoni's nursery. She then grabbed the stroller box as well, putting that in the corner. Amina and Sayanni could hear Kylah yell, "I think that's about it." from the car as she pulled into Sayanni's designated parking space.

Dramatically they flopped onto the small couch together, fanning themselves. It usually didn't get hot in Chicago, especially around this time but with all the moving they had been doing, the heat was starting to beat on them.

Momma Joy was in the kitchen putting bottles and other things for Harmoni away, plugging in the warmer, and making sure each can of Similac was fresh before putting those into the cabinets.

Kylah had locked up the car and walked back into the apartment, giggling about something on her phone, typing away.

"You typing hella hard ova there," Amina mentioned the clicking sound her phone was making as she texted whoever she was texting.

"Oh hush," Kylah waved them off, continuing to text whoever.

"When you coming back to school, girl? I miss you, goofy ass," Amina asked, turning to Sayanni once the air started circulating again.

"Either tomorrow or Wednesday. I honestly don't wanna leave her, but yanno gotta get that education." She finished the last sentence sarcastically as she pulled Harmoni's seat closer to her.

"Harmoni will be fine pooka, just go to school, and now you can leave a lot earlier." Joy stepped in, setting the plate of fruit she had made for the girls on the small coffee table in front of the couch.

"It's finna be winter break anyway, so you should definitely go. You missed homecoming and all that other shit." Kylah chimed in as she squeezed between the two girls on the couch, grabbing a slice of cantaloupe.

Amina and Sayanni side-eyeing her as she got comfortable. Sayanni stood up, grabbed the car seat, and entered her bedroom.

Unstrapping her from her car seat and laying her in the bed to pull off some outside clothes and put her into something more comfortable.

Before she could even lay her down, Harmoni started to cry, pulling at her hair. "Moni, I know that hurts. Stop." Sayanni told her that even though she couldn't understand what she was saying, talking to Harmoni permanently stopped the baby from crying. Just replying to her when she made little sounds would always entertain her.

Sayanni pulled a onesie over Harmoni's head, pushing her arms through the holes and finally buckling it closed at the bottom. Sayanni moved towards her dresser, grabbed a pair of sweatpants, and took off the jeans she had on looking towards her bed every few seconds to make sure.

Harmoni hadn't rolled off.

She was so looking forward to all the milestones they would hit together. She was so proud of herself for being able to do this, to carry a child and love and care for that child without resenting her. Sayanni was scared. First, she didn't wanna fail and have to send her off with her grandmother like her mother did to her.

Sayanni had made a vow that she would be the world's happiest and most loved little girl. Pulling her sweatpants over her butt and drawing on a hoodie, she grabbed one of Harmoni's quilts and Harmoni before moving back into the living room with everyone else. Laying the blanket out with one hand and laying.

Harmoni is down on her stomach for tummy time. Momma Joy and Sayanni still had to make a schedule for Harmoni since she'd be with Sayanni just as much as she'd be with Momma Joy.

"What we gon be doing for winter break y'all?" Amina asked, allowed to scroll through Instagram as Sayanni started a movie for everybody. "Girl Imma be in my bed. What you talking bout what we doin?" Sayanni replied, hugging one of her many throw pillows, trying to get comfy in one of the loveseats in her living room.

"Your grandmother can watch Harmoni, right Auntie Joy?" Kylah asked, turning to Joy, who was still in the kitchen tidying up. "Y'all can do whatever y'all want. Sayanni knows what her priorities are now. It's her choice to act responsibly or not." Momma Joy stated, grabbing her things before turning to Sayanni.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Yanni. Make sure you feed my grandbaby, please." She mentioned before leaving, locking the door behind her.

"So you can't go out with us anymore, huh?" Amina asked turning to Sayanni. "What we posed to do, you are our partner in crime, man damn." Kylah pouted, folding her arms and slumping lower into the couch.

"I'm sorry y'all, just give me like a few months, and then we can go back to how it used to be, hopefully, but I do have a kid. I gotta find a job and get started on choosing these scholarships. I love y'all a lot, and I'm so grateful for y'all being here." Sayanni stated as they all got a little teary-eyed.

"We love you too." the other two responded as they pulled each other into a hug, crying a little bit as they did so.

"We'll see you at school, right?" Kylah inquired as they both stood up, causing Sayanni to stand as well to walk them out.

"Of course, by y'all," Sayanni spoke, the girls sharing hugs again. Waving to them and watching them get into Amina's car, a few stray tears falling from Sayanni's eyes.

It was really settling in how much different life was going to be. Sayanni had a responsibility now, a whole child to look after until she could look after herself. Life was really about to change.

Sayanni had to grow up now. It was time to really do better and keep focused for the future.

 It was time to really do better and keep focused for the future

thank you for reading
excuse any mistakes

- camellaa ✨✨