"Oladele... Why? Why! Now I have to suffer alone. Why?!" My tears dried up at that and I stood up, opened the door and barged in.

I sniffed loudly.

"So this is how you cry every night when I'm out to deliver packages abi?" I asked. If you had seen me then, you wouldn't believe I just cried behind the door a few minutes ago.

"Mercy... No... I—" I watched my mom stutter as she rose from the ground and wiped her tears. The picture of her husband which she quickly hid under the bed didn't go unnoticed by me but I ignored it as I tried to look stern.

"Màámi, stop these naw... Crying is not good for your health, you're growing older." My voice softened as I said the last part.

"I wasn't crying." She countered, the firmness in her voice gave me the hint not to say anything again and I sighed. "What's this?" I frowned but followed her gaze to see that she was staring at the envelope in my hand.

My mouth formed an 'o'. I almost forgot I was holding that.

"Oh, the fine old man gave it to me." My lips parted into a grin as I said that and my mom chuckled.

"You and blurting out how your uncle is fine enh... Just be careful." She said inbetween her laughter and I smiled.

If only she could smile like this everyday.

"So, what's inside?"

I quickly place the envelope on her palm and walked out of the room. I was so sure it was a Cheque for money so I didn't bother to wait.

Right now, I'm only bothered about food.

Yes, food.

I made my way into the kitchen with a smile. Opening the first pot, my eyes lit up in delight.

Efo riro (Vegetables)

I opened the brown cooler next to the worn out hot plate and almost shouted hallelujah.

Semolina!

"Ah... Thank God." I breathe out happily, stretching my hands across the long table to pick a clean plate.

"Oluwa ooo!"

I dropped the plate aimlessly and ran out of the kitchen at the loud voice of my mum which had reverberated through the house. It didn't take me a minute to barge into her room and I almost had an heart attack.

Fear engulfed me as I watched my mom roll on the floor in what looked like... Pain?

"Màámi?" I called and gasped loudly when she looked up. She was crying. "What happened?" I asked and she curled back unto the floor, crying.

A little action that got me feeling scared. I sighted the opened envelope on the bed and  frowned.

Was she crying because of that?

Did Mr. Lagbaja say something bad?

Wait. Was it not supposed to be a Check?

I picked up the letter beside the envelope quickly, opening it and reading through the colorful lines carefully.

Colorful?

My eyes widened in pure shock as I read it again. At that moment, I knew I had switched face with a fish because I was literally gawking at the letter. No, admission letter.

"Oluwa ose oo! (Thank you God!)" My mom's cry of joy grew fifty shades louder and my lips broke into a smile.

A letter of admission into one of the best schools in Lagos; Royal high School. My dream school, a school which I knew I would never get into even by charm.