To The Rescue

While the animals were all busy trying their best to comfort the distraught servant girl, Clouse, the youngest and arguably the feistiest, gathered together the other three mice standing next to him.

Without Zelda really noticing, the three of them slipped beneath the crack of her door.

She had provided them with food, company, and friendship. It was about time they repaid her.

The four little mice darted down the long winding stairs. One thing was for sure, it'd take them a while before they reached the bottom.

In the meanwhile, Prince Link and his cavalry had just stopped outside the chateau.

"Your majesty, this is the final house on the street. I'm afraid if there's no one here, then we'll have to stop this search," Daruk, the captain of the guard explained as they all pulled their horses to a stop in front of the gates.

Link took off his riding cap, the friction ruffling some of his blonde hair out of place.

He let out a long sigh and nodded his head. He knew very well he'd pushed his troops to near-exhaustion, and it'd be cruel to push them even harder.

"You're right, general. I appreciate you all coming to look with me anyhow. Hopefully my father will increase your pay for the month," he replied, flashing Daruk a solemn half-smile.

Teba soared down from the sky and landed beside them. He hadn't needed a horse.

"Not coming, your highness?" He asked.

Link responded with a shake of his head.

"I think I'll just stay back here for a while. Don't worry though, I'll be with you in a moment," he reassured.

Teba decided there was no use questioning him further and shrugged his shoulders.

The duke proceeded down the path to the front door, giving a gentle knock once he'd arrived. The cavalry stood watching him intently.

He tugged on the chain that connected to the doorbell.

Meanwhile, Lady Tremaine was seated on one of the couches in the living room, with Mipha and Riju sitting across from her, both of their hearts pounding with nervousness.

"Um, mother...?" Mipha began, "where is Zelda? I haven't seen her all day."

Tremaine was busy doing some embroidery on a shawl of hers, but eventually, she looked up.

"She's cleaning the upstairs floors of course," she replied, smiling as if she hadn't just locked her stepdaughter away in an attic moments ago.

Seemingly from nowhere, Magda the cat treaded into the room, her giant featherduster of a tail swaying back and forth.

She hopped up onto the couch where the sisters sat and curled herself up next to Riju, who gently began stroking her fur.

In the meanwhile, Mipha had an underlying feeling in the pit of her stomach that something was terribly off.

Riju continued to worriedly stroke the cat.

Mipha would've thought on the matter more had the chiming of the doorbells outside not interrupted her.

"Oh! That must be them!" Tremaine chirped, carelessly tossing her beautiful embroidery to the side and rushing over to the front door.

She opened it, and sure enough there stood the white-feathered grand duke, who politely bowed as he had several times before that day.

"Good afternoon, madame," Teba began, "did you or any of the members of this household attend the ball in honor of the prince a week ago?"

Lady Tremaine swiftly straightened up and flashed the duke her usual fake-sweet smile.