Volume One - Chapter Four

The blue figure silently floated in the air, unable to touch or feel, it could only mourn as its mouth opened and closed, unable to voice its words or express its pain. Ghostly tears fell like little lights as they ran down its cheeks, falling off and sinking into the floor below, the only witness being Brother Tall as he lay upon the pile of ash hissing in pain as black runes flooded over his body, healing his wounds with small crimson bursts.

Forcing himself up Brother Tall ignored the pain that assailed his body as he stood tall and stared at the ghost in front. Emitting a pale blue hue the ghost watched Brother Tall, unaware of its clothe-less state as it bared all. A developed male body with little muscle and barely any scars to speak of, it was hard to survive and get by unscathed without some kind of background in this world.

"I am sorry. The sin must be recompensed," deep words spoken as Brother Tall bowed his head, the ghost tilted its in response, its mouth still moving, trying to talk but unable to muster any sound. Walking further forward Brother Tall stood face to face with the ghost, he leant forward until he felt the strangle cool sensation of the ghosts incorporeal body.

"Give me your sin." Gone was Brother Talls harsh voice, instead it was replaced with a rare softness that elicited a faint response as a dimmed rune hidden between Brother Talls brows lit up as it began to churn and twist. The ghost showed no signs of pain or discomfort as the rune seared into its incorporeal body, instead it slowly raised its hands as it cupped Brother Talls face, a smile of gratitude on its own. Tears ran freely from its form as they silently passed through Brother Tall, it looked up, trying to see through the crypt and into the skies above, wanting to taste the world again. The ghost pulsated and grew faint, smiling just before it disappeared.

Falling to his knees Brother Tall was unable to hold in his cries of agony as a new rune burnt itself into his flesh, the other runes covering his body lit up, welcoming their new addition. The latest brand to be carried. Feelings of despair and fear flooded through Brother Talls body as the memories of the ghost overwhelmed him, sending him spiralling into oblivion. Unconscious he fell, surrounded by the homes of the dead as the moonstones bathed him in their dim glow, as if he was one of them.

Brother Tall had become an observer, forced to watch the memories racing through his mind. Forced to relive the ghosts final moments as journeyed with his brother.

Two brothers walked together in torchlight, carrying packs full of wine and food. They descended the long moss-covered steps, this was their families crypt, where their own father now lay in rest. Under the light of the fire they travelled further, bringing offerings and incense, hoping to pray for the continued fortune of their family line.

They quickly arrived at the bottom of the crypt, only the sound of footsteps to be heard, there was no fear in their steps, they had been here before and knew where they were going. The guardian doors stood sealed before them, they didn't remember them being shut, there were no valuables inside to plunder, no reason to seal the tomb. Conversation flowed as the two brothers queried the closed doors, both agreeing to investigate. Pushing these thoughts to the side both tensed and pushed against the stone door, even combined they were barely strong enough to open it a crack, just enough for them to fit through one at a time.

They stood in the main hall, shocked at the sight of the half open tomb, it should never be open, it was an insult to their ancestors, to their father. Both brothers rushed forward to view the tomb, each taking a separate side to examine. Inside the tomb lay the body of their father, worn down to dust and bone from the passage of time. They looked at each other, both seemingly appalled and wondering who would do such a thing.

A glint of something bright hidden in the tomb's depths caught their eyes, both agreed they should investigate, but who would reach in and pull it out?