Peter smiled, feeling warmth flood his chest. Gently, he took a seat next to Ellie and watched the cars drive by for a moment.

“I can get you many other pens, Ellie, so dont worry” he promised “I just dont want you to get hurt, alright?” he turned to look at her

“It’s not the same” Ellie huffed, eyes slowly looking up at Peter before “but alright…” she said quietly.

“Good” Peter smiled “Did you eat anything good today?” He asked

“Yeah- we had fish with baby carrots, peas and broccoli” she listed “and I chose the apple juice”

“Sounds yummy” he commented

“It was okay, daddy cooks a lot better” Ellie nodded at her own words “he also makes these cupcakes and theyre the most delicious in the world!” she lift up her arms, turning to Peter with wide eyes to get her point across.

“Is that so?” Peter didnt let the sudden realization show on his face as he remembered the fact that he couldn’t push cooking away from his plate for much longer. While before he could order in food, eat sandwiches or disgusting store bought food, Ellie needed a proper meal…

As the bus finally came, both getting on. Peter insisted Ellie took the seat next to the lady as he stood next to them, allowing Ellie to ramble a bit longer about her father’s cooking.

“Did you learn anything new today?” he asked after she was done, unable to stop his laugh when Ellie visibly wilted, groaning loudly with an eyeroll

“No- it was the same thing as alwaaaaays” she groaned, hopping off her chair as the bus slowed down. Peter held onto her so she would trip, letting go when the bus fully stopped.

He considered the possibility of taking the bus to school with Ellie, back, then taking another to work… It just wouldn’t work and that meant he’d need a car before the end of the week.

“Okay” Ellie said suddenly, after she dropped all her things in her room, chest puffed out as she grinned up at Peter “I’m ready” she said

Peter blinked down at her, confused. He tilted his head slightly and Ellie didnt seem amused by his confusion because she let out a frustrated huff

“To visit dad” she clarified and Peter would’ve winced if he didn’t have to control his expressions every other day “thats why you adopted me, remember?”

“Ellie” Peter began slowly and the girl didnt even let him continue, recognizing his tone of voice

“You promised” she said as her eyes began to become watery, glaring up at Peter

“I really didnt” Peter let slip on accident, he knew he didnt but he regretted talking without thinking because Ellie stomped her foot as tears began to flow

“You did!” she shouted and Peter was panicking on the inside-

“Ellie” he tried again, voice and body language changing into a more controlled fashion as he decided to take this as he’d do at work “Let me explain it, properly, okay?” he asked, crouching in front of her so they’d be in the same eye level

“No!” Ellie shook her head “You promised! You promised!”

“Your father needs to be granted permission of visitors first” he began to explain as the girl sobbed “He cannot be granted permission yet, I need to be there to diagnose him…” he continued, taking her hand into his as softly as possible so her attention would be back on him.

Ellie hiccuped, seeming to calm down with Peter’s controlled and soft tone, her lashes sticking together from the tears and her little nose runny.

“I can’t pressure your dad to open up” he explained despite knowing it must be hard for her to understand “but I can try my best to prove he is okay to have visitors, I’ll talk to my boss, okay?” his tone softened into a more caring one as he held her hand in both his now, letting his little ‘therapy-sona’ fade.

“Okay” Ellie sniffled as she rubbed at her eyes. Peter smiled and finally stood up, not letting go of her hand yet.

“Let’s get you face washed up” he began to lead her to the bathroom, holding hands just until she decided to pull away.

After that, Ellie was quiet for a while, Peter sat next to her on the sofa, instead of office,  typing the rest of his work so she wouldn’t be by herself as she watched cartoons.
Eventually, he did put his laptop away because Ellie had turned to him at a scene he hadn’t been watching and visibly deflated when she noticed he was busy. They watched the mermaids sing as they defeated the two villains, who also sang and were worriyingly loving despite being sisters, and eventually Ellie was bouncing in her seat again.

Near nighttime, Peter had began to cook something easy and quick, he made sure it was a complete meal with enough carbs, vegetables and protein.

“Do you want to eat on the sofa, kitchen balcony or dining table?” he asked, unused to having the dining table as option or having to set dinner at all.

“Table!” Ellie jumped up from where she had been completing a puzzle Peter had given her despite how much she had said she hated puzzles and that both her and Wade had made a puzzle hating club “I’ll help!” she bounced excitedly

“Alright” Peter smiled “Set the table then, I’ll set the food” they both walked to the kitchen.

Dinner wasn’t bad, thankfully Ellie liked it enough. They both ate together on the table, Ellie rambling as Peter ate in silence, listening and watching how she picked the onions out of the salad, making a mental note that she didnt like them.
It was unusual, having someone to eat with once again, but Peter found himself smiling and feeling warm at the company- his food which usually had tasted bland and empty, tasted more savory in comparison to when he first began living by himself.

Before they went to sleep, Ellie had suddenly remembered homework and Peter had sat on the floor near her little office desk to help her with her maths homework so she could go to sleep earlier and get good rest.

“Good night, Peter” Ellie said from beneath the covers as Peter stood by her door “I’m sorry I got mad at you today…and acted like a baby” she hid half her face beneath the covers

“You didnt act like a baby…and its alright, I’m sorry I can’t take you yet” he smiled sadly

“is okay” she mumbled, blinking sleepily at Peter.

Watching for a moment longer as the girl struggled to stay awake, Peter slowly closed the door behind him, an unusual feeling flourishing in his chest as he whispered

“Good night, Ellie”