NINE

Y/n silently sits behind the bar, back propped up against the wooden shelving filled with stacks of alcohol, her arms wrapped around her knees. She doesn't want to think about anything, but her thoughts are all she's left with. The temptation to down one of the bottles behind her is strong, but she resists for her own sake. Not sure anyone would wanna trust an underage alcoholic.

Trust. It's all about trust. It's practically a currency here, it's all anyone wants. Someone who they just know they can trust, but that's not a thing. It's not humanly possible to completely trust someone, there will always and forever be the chance they'll betray you, no matter who they are.

Y/n counts down the minutes until she can just hurry up and move onto the next floor. She can't stand sitting here doing nothing. Waiting.

"You're not planning on drinking, are you?" Alice comes around the corner, staring at Y/n suspiciously.

"No.. just wanted to be alone.."

"If that is a hint for me to leave, I'm not taking it. I need to talk to you about something."

"Yeah? What?" Y/n asks breathlessly, just trying to get it over with and get him away.

"How long were you in police custody for your crimes?"

"I don't know. Not long. I was being driven over to a holding cell while I waited to be tried when I was taken here with Keiji.. why?"

"..I don't trust that man, so I can't ask him this. Since we're both in trouble with the law, I can entrust this information with you most.. be prepared.."

"..Yeah.?" She doesn't bother to fake any interest.

"The man I was convicted of murdering.." He pauses, thinking it through. "..His name was Sou Hiyori."

Y/n's demeanour completely shifts when she hears that, it takes a good few seconds to process it. "You.. it was you?"

"Hm.? What is this?" Alice asks, slightly worried.

"When I was arrested.. I didn't know anything.. but they told me the man I'd sold drugs to.. was Sou Hiyori. They told me he'd been murdered and the killer was already behind bars.!"

"You sold drugs to him!?"

"No! Accused of! But.. they.. uh.. had footage of me doing it. I have no memory of it and it definitely wasn't me.. but when I try and remember it, I can't remember what he looked like at all."

"..Neither! I can't remember what he looked like.!"

It's all connected. Who is Sou Hiyori? Was this some revenge mission? He's scouting out all the people he blames for his death and putting them in this death game as punishment.. wait, no. Idiot. He's literally dead.

...But our Sou?

"You look deep in thought, L/n. What are you thinking?" Alice asks oddly formally.

"..I don't know. It's just.. weird."

Why.. am I still protecting Sou?

I can't stand him. He was reckless and stupid and what he did was unforgivable, I was almost dead because of him and he could've ruined everything. So why do I dread the feeling of people suspecting him still? You're just as dumb as him, Y/n. Get a grip.

"Weird is one word to describe it. I must deliberate about this on my own, farewell.

This just makes this so much more confusing.

When the third floor opens up, Q-taro comes back into the bar and takes her to the Main Game room again, a new doorway open and leading into what looks like some kind of lobby. It looks a lot nicer than the previous floor, which is probably some kind of trick.