3: Heart of Glass

Start from the beginning

I shook my head and gave her a reassuring smile. "It's fine. I won't go out, I promise. I'll be...a good girl."

It really discomforts me when I have to act like a child, especially talk one. This was why I talked so little and move little. Who knows what will happen to me if I talk normally like an adult, they might think I'm being possessed by a demon of some sort and exorcise me.

There were no children where I came from. I don't even have memories as a child nor any before I became a servant of the goddess. Even year after year Holy Maidens never aged up, our appearance just stayed the same the moment Cianna chose you to be her servant of light

"But princess..." Haisley spoke as if begging not to leave by her side.

Haisley worries too much.

I stared at her as she tried to persuade me that she was not tired anymore but I continued to give her a blank stare until she finally gave up and closed her eyes.

The thought of whether I was in a book or in the world that I knew of bothered me. I was confused yet still couldn't find any answers. Questions after questions just kept piling up.

Thanks to that, I knitted my brows in frustration as I took some books that are within my reach from the shelf since I'm a child of small height. I stayed on the floor reading and reading without getting the answers that I was looking for.

And not before long, I fell asleep with books laying around me.

I dreamed of a girl slumped on the cold tiled floor crying quietly as she begged for someone anyone to notice her. Notice her presence, notice the sadness of her heart and of her silent cries. As people around her danced with joyous laughter and against the melodious music the girl's anguish was unseen.

I dreamed that girl was—

The scene became distorted when I felt someone move my body carrying me. The smell wasn't like Haisley's but more masculine. My half-asleep mind was falling back to my dream but I was pulled back to my conscious state once again, turning me around as the person held me on my armpit. Eyes still closed I stretched my limbs forward thinking that I was being passed to Haisley.

"Your majesty, it seems that the princess wants you to carry her," the voice came from a man.

"Why would I do that?" A cold voice said, so different from the carefree voice before.

When I opened my eyes, fully awake, a pair of piercing gold eyes stared right through me which brought awful chills down to my spine. The man sat on the chair with an intimidating aura surrounding him. My instinct screamed that this person is dangerous. Even the book on his hand looks like a weapon.

"Oh my, she's awake," another voice spoke. He stood behind the frightening person. "Good morning, princess."

"G-good morning," I said more quietly almost choking as my arms hung at my sides hopelessly. I glanced around looking for Haisley.

With my limbs dangling at this very moment I turned my head towards the person who was carrying me. It was none other than the man with red hair I saw earlier.

"Are you not happy to see your father?" The knight with red hair asked.

It must be my lucky day. To find my father who had abandoned me these five years. I would laugh humorlessly if I wasn't shaken by the thoughts of dying today. Oh, I hope it would be quick without any pain.

"You." With my heart trying to escape out of my chest I turned toward the king. "Give me an excuse for why I shouldn't kill you today."

See. My prediction seems to be accurate.

This man was definitely handsome with a striking feature, as if angels had carved his looks. But at the same time frightening like a demon ready to strike me. Describing his good looks metaphorically I started to shake.

He was glaring at me with such murderous intent.

"Your Majesty, please don't scare her. She can't speak if you're making that face," the man who had a gentle smile spoke.

After a moment the king stopped glaring yet his face held coldness. "Speak," he ordered.

"Maybe the rumors are true, the princess doesn't speak much," the red-headed knight behind me said.

"Perhaps she's incompetent," the king said looking at me with a spark of curiosity in his eyes while at the same time looking down on me.

I ignored the insult.

My attention shifted away from the king to the scenery behind him. Over the window, the sun finally shone above the clear sky. From the gloomy weather, it had blossomed into a tranquil comfort glow.

"Ah, it's a wonderful day not to die," I answered still staring at the world painted vividly with each ray of sunlight giving beautiful hues.

"...Take her away," the king said and went back to reading his book.

The knight did so and carried me out of his majesty's sight but before we could climb down I told him that I'll be going back alone.

Without question, the knight put me down. And without looking back I climbed down the stairs. I was afraid that if Haisley saw me with a knight she might not make me go out again.

Haisley's face washed in relief after finding me at the bottom of the stairs. "You gave me a heart attack, princess. Next time I'm not going to take my eyes off you."

According to Haisley, the second floor was exclusively for important people that I shouldn't be there.

"Did someone see you, princess?" She asked as she carries me. After the unexpected interaction with the king, all of my energy was depleted.

"I did." Haisley's face immediately went pallid from my answer. "I met some old men."

"...Old men?"

I swore I heard a burst of laughter when the door of the library shut behind us.

It really was a beautiful day, warm light kissed my skin. I was glad that I somehow stepped out alive.

"You're happy, princess," Haisley said looking at me with a joyful wide smile. I looked at her questioningly. How does she know? I wasn't even smiling. "Your eyes say so. They shine beautifully."

Oh...

But why am I happy? Is it because I'm still breathing? If so I think I'm more relieved than happy if that's the case. Then what's the cause?

When dinner ended I quickly went back to what I was drawing. After, I would redraw it until I was satisfied with the colors.

"Is that one of the old men you saw earlier in the library?" Haisley asked peeking at the paper.

While coloring the eyes with yellow I nodded and then wrote the king's name at the bottom left.

Edmund

An image of the king and the window with sunny weather.

"Edmund..? Pri- princess! The old man you're talking about is King Edmund?! The- the-"

I gave the paper to Haisley while yawning. "Goodnight, Haisley."

"W- wait princess. The king. His majesty, King Edmund?" She said with strain in her voice.