"I can't believe you had to sneak out for like, the first time in your life," Jonas laughed, adjusting the radio to the most ear splitting metal music.

"I know. Missy didn't give a shit where I was, I could just walk out the front door. Didn't know I had to turn into James Bond just to go to a party," Harley yelled over the music, rolling his eyes. He leaned against the car door and watched the scenery shift as the socioeconomic status of the neighborhood shifted towards upper class.

"Who's party is this anyway?" He eventually asked Jonas, as some multi million dollar homes began to crop up.

"Brett's. Football training for next season is starting, so I guess they're all celebrating the reunion."

Harley raised an eyebrow. "We're not on the football team. We're not even in school anymore."

"Yeah, and ninety percent of the people coming aren't on the team. Besides, they love graduated seniors, and Michelle is a senior next year. It's an excuse to party in an expensive house, come on, Harley. Keep up," Jonas punched his arm playfully.

Harley had been to only one of Brett's parties before, when they were juniors. He got drunk and made out with a girl in the bathroom, before then receiving an incredibly awkward and uncomfortable blowjob. At no fault to the girl, really, she was great. Wasn't her problem some closeted gay guy got hammered and didn't realize forcing himself to enjoy sexual interactions with a gender he wasn't attracted to wouldn't work out. That, and Harley also knew to prepare himself for the only alcohol there being cheap vodka.

As the number of cars parked on the curb began to steadily increase, Harley felt himself let out a breath. Why did there have to be so many people?

"Joe!" A voice shrieked into the night as they parked, and Harley startled, not even realizing Jonas already had the door wide open and was rushing over to Michelle, who threw her arms around him.

Stepping out of the car, Harley rounded the front, hands tucked sheepishly in his pockets. "Hey Michelle, how are you?"

"Harley! Oh my God, it's so good to see you!" She abandoned her boyfriend to run over and hug him, who gave her a friendly pat on the back as Jonas smiled at them. "I hear you moved! What's up with that?" She held him out at arms length, her winged eyeliner accentuating her dark eyes.

"Yeah, I live with my brother now in Southside," he nodded, and Michelle's dark red lips turned up.

"Well I'm glad you don't have to live with your aunt anymore. She's. . . kind've a bitch," she giggled at her language, bringing her hand up to her mouth as Jonas  came up behind to wrap his arms around her.

"Trust me, I know," Harley snickered, glancing over his shoulder at the house. Every window was lit up, a strobing light in the lowest level, and heavy bass thrumming throughout the structure that could easily be heard from across the street.

"We should go, I think my friends already went inside," Michelle turned to face Jonas, tugging playfully on his hand as the two ran across the street, Michelle's heels clacking loudly against the concrete. Watching from the sidewalk, the air was filled with a sudden silence, despite the pounding bass. Harley had been surrounded by people constantly for so long, standing outside on the sidewalk of this affluent neighborhood was the quietest it had been in a long time. A space without people, where Harley could just. . . be.

Fishing his phone out from his pocket, a slightly older, used iPhone his brother had given him, he flicked the screen on and stared at the time displayed. He never had a smartphone before, and just turning the screen on and off mesmerized him. He was deeply grateful for the gift, but his excitement soured slightly when he thought about the fit Lucas likely had thrown when Axel used some of their money to get him the phone. It probably still cost hundreds of dollars, never mind the phone plan.