Chapter 25: Pocket Full of Lightning

Start from the beginning

"That was loud". Esme commented and then let out a groan. "Why can't we just have one day where we don't have to worry about the world ending?" She asked, moving her body so she was facing him completely on the couch.

Esme lifted a hand up, her index finger pointing to the ceiling while her tongue poked out a bit before she spoke again;

"Better yet, why can't we just have a good day?" The happiness on her face dropped slightly.

Thomas' smiling face soon left from her comment and the way her face changed. Thomas grabbed her hand as he rubbed his thumb over her hand softly. "You always have good days. You always tell me that there is usually just a few things that are a bump in the road". Thomas said.

He remembered how when he first got to know her and things would go wrong in the day but she would always wave him off. Telling him;

Everyday is a good day. There are just bumps in the road that get in the way. Every road has a few bumps. That's life.

Esme shrugged before taking in a deep breath as she took her hand away from his,"It doesn't feel like that way anymore".

Thomas' frown deepened.

Drunk words are sober thoughts...

"I'm sleepy". Esme changed the subject, her eyelids almost closing.

"Well". Thomas stood up in front of her. "Let's get you to bed".

Esme held her arms up to him like a child.

Of course Thomas took her hands and pulled her up before throwing her over his shoulder. Esme laughed as her head spun from the sudden movement change.

Thomas set her down on Allison's bed and then took her shoes off.

"When I close my eyes it feels like I'm on a roller coaster". Esme whined.

"I can fix that". Thomas whispered.
He hasn't done it in awhile so he was hesitant. After a few more seconds he placed his hand on her head.

He barley had to think but he got inside her mind and made it calmer. Relaxing even. To her it didn't feel like she was going up and down and side to side while her head was pounding. Now it just felt like she was on the beach.

And the more Thomas thought, the more the image became clear in her mind where she felt herself sitting on the beach. Watching the surfers in the distance. The sound of the waves crashing on one another, the feeling of the sand between her hands and feet. And the smell of the salty sea breeze.

Esme sighed happily in her sleep which caused Thomas to smile, slowly removing his hand as he pulled the blanket over her, tucking her in. He then placed a kiss on her forehead before he quietly exited the room.

~~~

"Where's Esme? I haven't seen her in awhile". Diego asked Thomas who was sitting next to Luther, tossing a coin up and down in the air.

"Sleeping off a hangover". Thomas answered simply.

Diego let out an amused laugh while Luther breathed out a laugh while nodding his head.