I arrived at Alex's house and hustled up the porch, lugging my backpack and a container of soup I'd stopped to pick up with me. Before I could even knock the door swung open. 

"Hey there," he said, leaning against the doorframe, wrapped in a blanket. 

"What are you doing up? You should be laying down!" I exclaimed, rushing into the house and all but shoving him back to the couch. He chuckled the whole time which turned into a coughing fit by the time he was laying back down. After the fit subsided he took a deep breath and looked up at me, his usually perfectly curled hair flopping to one side. 

I sighed, surveying the scene. "I'm going to make that soup for you," I decided, dropping my backpack by his feet and starting toward the kitchen. "I brought copies of all the homework."

"Thanks," he said, reaching for the backpack. "I also appreciate you texting me your notes."

Once the soup was heated up and ready I made my way back to the couch, where Alex was sitting propped up by a mound of pillows. "Damn, didn't realize how hungry I was until now," he commented, reaching for the bowl with grabbing motions. 

I rolled my eyes and passed him the bowl and spoon. "Careful," I warned, "it's hot."

He made a face at me and took a bite. "It's literally fine," he said after he swallowed. "Don't be such a mum."

"Well, someone's gotta," I replied, flipping through my notebooks. "Did you get the homework I brought for you?"

Alex gestured to the stack of papers half hidden by a blanket on the floor. "All there," he replied. 

"Good."

We sat in silence for a moment, the only sounds being Alex slurping his soup suspiciously loudly. Eventually I turned to face him, arching an eyebrow. 

"Are you doing that on purpose?" I asked, crossing my arms. 

"Doing what?" He asked innocently, maintaining eye contact with my as he slurped another spoonful of soup down.

I rolled my eyes and smacked his foot. "I knew it," I sighed over his laughter. "Careful, don't want another coughing fit."

He quieted and saluted to me, returning to his soup more quietly. We sat in more comfortable silence for another minute. Alex turned and opened his mouth to speak, but at that moment the door flew open. 

"I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner," Perrie said breathlessly, rushing into the living room and stopping short at the sight of me. 

I waved tentatively. "Hi."

"Hey." After that, her attention was on Alex. "How are you feeling? Do you need anything?"

"I'm okay, I'm okay," Alex said, waving away her concerns. Even though he was feigning annoyance, I could he he appreciated her care. "Just a bad cold. I'll be fine tomorrow, just needed a day of rest. Jade brought me soup and all my homework."

"Oh, well that was nice of her," Perrie said, glancing at me before refocusing her gaze on Alex. "I brought you some of your favorite tea and some cough drops." She placed the two bags on the table before sitting down as Alex made room for her on the couch.

Suddenly feeling very unwanted, I stood. "I think I'm gonna go," I said, stepping back amid Alex's protests. "I have lots of work to do."

"Okay, as long as you're sure," Alex said, eyeing me with scrutiny. "Thanks for everything."

I nodded, backing away. I couldn't get out of the house fast enough. 

True to his word, Alex was in school the next day. Everything was okay until I passed a certain someone in the hallway. I was walking arm in arm with Leigh Anne, and suddenly the jock was there. He merely raised his eyebrows at me, throwing me a smug grin. All of a sudden my good mood vanished and I felt nauseous. I threw Leigh's arm off of me and walked briskly to the bathroom, making sure to keep my pace steady.