Chapter 21: Man on a Wire

"What's a bloody ropes course?" Wylda turned over the flyer, looking for more information on the back.

"I've done that," Pete said, reaching for the last French fry on his plate. "It's like an obstacle course mixed with boot camp."

"I got one of those, too." Ali nodded toward the paper while sipping her iced tea. "It's this afternoon, right?"

"Yeah." Wylda emphatically chewed her gum as she read the announcement again. "It says to meet at two by the barn. Sounds horrid. Do we really hafta?"

"I think it's considered our group session for the week," Ali said, recalling the leaflet stuck under her door that morning.

"Oh, you must go. It's loads of fun," Sheridan chimed in. "Races, team building, problem solving. Plus they get these cute instructors from the Air Force Academy to lead the groups. I don't know why you'd want to miss it."

"Because I'm going home this weekend anyway?" Wylda narrowed her eyes and grimaced at Sheridan, not hiding her disdain for something so superficial as attractive airmen.

"You're leaving?" Ali ignored the bubbling feud and turned to her friend in surprise.

Wylda twisted a platinum lock of hair around her finger. "Was supposed to go today, but I'm gonna wait for Dave. He's done on Saturday, and we're flyin' out together."

"So you guys are really serious," Ali said with a smile, but Harriet began to cough.

Pete patted the older woman's back. "Are you all right, G?" he asked, using his lovingly shortened version of Grandma for her.

Sitting on Harriet's other side, Ali offered her water. After a few sips, the wheezing subsided. "I'm fine, my dear," she answered Pete. "I think I will go lie down. Can you take Marv on a walk for me?"

When Pete tried to pick up the dog, the animal growled and leapt into Ali's lap instead. "I guess I'll take him. You go make sure Harriet gets some rest," Ali instructed Pete, standing up with Marv in her arms. Pointing to Wylda, she attempted her best authoritative scowl. "And I'll see you in an hour at the barn. Don't even think about skipping out on me."

With Harriet resting and her needing to make it to the afternoon's session in time, Ali had to find a safe place for Marv after his walk. Knowing the little dog didn't care too much for Pete and left with few other options, she was on the verge of taking him along when she ran into Liz's children. Sarah and Colin were more than happy to watch the pup, and Ali—in keeping with her recent habit for lateness—made it to the designated meeting area just before the last hay truck pulled out.

Two of the vehicles—tethered behind industrial tractors and loaded with lodge guests—had already started rolling across the meadow, and Ali climbed into an empty spot next to Wylda. After miming a shrug in apology over the roar of the engine, she sat back and enjoyed the ride as it took them to a distant spot on the property.

Once they unloaded, she counted about three-dozen participants—all women outfitted in workout gear and cross trainers—assembled in the clearing. As the tractors departed, quiet murmurs began to go through the group, and they looked at each other, wondering what to do.

"Good afternoon, ladies," said a voice that emerged from the tree line before a man in camouflage pants, combat boots, and a tight tan T-shirt stepped out of the shadows. "I'm Major Alan Jeffries. I'll be leading this session along with my colleagues . . ." He paused long enough for a similarly dressed woman and man to enter the clearing from the opposite side. "Captains Sue Northcutt and Omar Wesley, along with Hank Mathis, who you probably already know."

Startled by the familiar name, it took Ali a split second longer than most everyone else to turn and see Hank behind her. When she did, he avoided looking directly at her as he stood feet apart and arms crossed, mimicking the other three instructors.