17. OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND

AFTER THEIR ENCOUNTER with the pirates, they decided to fly the rest of the way to Rome. Jason insisted he was well enough to take sentry duty, along with Coach Hedge, who was still so charged with adrenaline that every time the ship hit turbulence, he swung his bat and yelled, "Die!"

Maia didn't really sleep much that night, a little too worried of another surprise attack, so it wasn't really a shock to see she was the first one upstairs as soon as the sun started to rise.

"Good morning, my love." Jason's voice pulled her out of her thoughts. She smiled at him, feeling the same butterflies she always felt when he was around.

"Hi." She said, grinning as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"You should take a look at this." He said, gently steering her towards the ship's rail.

"Woah."

The sky was brilliant blue, as if the stormy weather had never happened. The sun rose over the distant hills, so everything below them shone and sparkled like a beautiful impressionist painting.

The city seemed to have no regard for the limits of geography. It spread through hills and valleys, jumped over the Tiber with dozens of bridges, and just kept sprawling to the horizon. Streets and alleys zigzagged with no rhyme or reason through quilts of neighborhoods. Glass office buildings stood next to excavation sites. A cathedral stood next to a line of Roman columns, which stood next to a modern soccer stadium. All in all, it was beautiful.

The pair had spent some time observing the city, talking in hushed whispers, as if to not disturb their friends. Eventually, the others started coming up on deck, Jason even going down to make sure they'd all be awake for this. Maia smiled at her friends as they took their places on the deck of the Argo II.

"We're setting down in that park," Leo announced, pointing to a wide green space dotted with palm trees. "Let's hope the Mist makes us look like a large pigeon or something."

Whatever it was the mortals were seeing, it seemed to work. Nobody was freaking out about an alien invasion or the end of the world, so Maia took that as a win.

To their right, snaking along the top of a hill, was a long brick wall with notches at the top for archers—maybe a medieval defensive line, maybe Ancient Roman. To the north, about a mile away through the folds of the city, the top of the Colosseum rose above the rooftops, looking just like it did in travel photos.

Maia gripped the ship's railing tighter, her knuckles turning white. She was here. It was real. The clock was ticking and Maia had to decide on something sooner or later. She was standing in Rome.

Jason pointed to the base of the archers' wall, where steps led down into some kind of tunnel.

"I think I know where we are," he said. "That's the Tomb of the Scipios."

Percy frowned. "Scipio...Reyna's pegasus?"

"No," Annabeth put in. "They were a noble Roman family, and...wow, this place is amazing."

Jason nodded. "I've studied maps of Rome before. I've always wanted to come here, but..."

Nobody bothered finishing that sentence. They'd made it. They'd landed in Rome—the Rome.

"Plans?" Hazel asked. "Nico has until sunset—at best. And this entire city is supposedly getting destroyed today."

Percy shook his head. "You're right. Annabeth...did you zero in on that spot from your bronze map?"

"Yes," she said carefully. "It's on the Tiber River. I think I can find it, but I should—"

"Take me along," Percy finished. "Yeah, you're right."