15. TO GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE WE GO

𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐎 𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐃 𝐓𝐎 be able to jump off that chariot. Frank had thrown up twice from the back, which had made her throw up, which made Percy throw up, which, at the speed of sound, was not at all a fun experience. Whoever said sharing was caring was absolutely WRONG.

Other than... that disaster, Ella didn't help matters. She kept muttering: 'Seven hundred and fifty miles per hour. Eight hundred. Eight hundred and three. Fast. Very fast.' The horse sped north across Puget Sound, zooming past islands and fishing boats and very surprised pods of whales. Maia genuinely had no idea where they were.

The horse rocketed onto dry land. He followed Highway 99 north, running so fast that the cars seemed to be standing still. Finally, the chariot wheels began to smoke.

"Hazel!" Frank yelled. "We're breaking up!" And Maia thought he meant something completely different for a second, and almost panicked because she could not have her ship be completely destroyed before it even happened, but then she realized he was talking about the horse and chariot, and was so happy she didn't just embarrass herself by saying something out loud.

Hazel got the message and pulled the reins. The horse didn't seem happy about it, but he slowed to subsonic as they zipped through the city streets. At last Arion stopped at the top of a wooded hill. He snorted with satisfaction, as if to say, That's how we run, fools. The smoking chariot collapsed, spilling Percy, Maia, Frank and Ella onto the wet, mossy ground.

Maia stumbled messily out of the chariot, tripping over herself, but managing to get steady. Frank also stumbled to his feet, but he was fine. Percy groaned and started unhitching Arion from the ruined chariot. Ella fluttered around in dizzy circles, bonking into the trees and muttering, "Tree. Tree. Tree."

Only Hazel seemed unaffected by the ride. Grinning with pleasure, she slid off the horse's back. "That was fun!"

"Yeah." Frank said, looking like he was gonna throw up again. "So much fun."

"No! Frank, if you're going to throw up please do it away from us, I do not want to have to deal with that again."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Arion whinnied. "He says he needs to eat," Percy translated. "No wonder. He probably burned about six million calories."

Hazel studied the ground at her feet and frowned. "I'm not sensing any gold around here ... Don't worry, Arion. I'll find you some. In the meantime, why don't you go graze? We'll meet you –"

The horse zipped off, leaving a trail of steam in his wake. Hazel knitted her eyebrows. "Do you think he'll come back?"

"I don't know," Percy said. "He seems kind of ... spirited."

There was quiet for a moment, as Frank leaned against a tree and Percy, Maia, and Hazel looked around for a bit.

"I'm practically home," Frank said. "My grandmother's house is right over there."

Hazel squinted. "How far?"

"Just over the river and through the woods."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? To Grandmother's house we go?"

Frank cleared his throat. "Yeah, anyway."

Hazel clasped her hands in prayer. "Frank, please tell me she'll let us spend the night. I know we're on a deadline, but we've got to rest, right? And Arion saved us some time. Maybe we could get an actual cooked meal?"

"And a hot shower?" Percy pleaded. "And a bed with, like, sheets and a pillow?"

"Oh, please, Frank. I'm desperate for a shower." Maia said.