Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It's surprisingly difficult to follow Merlin's trail, and Arthur finds himself having to backtrack a few times when Merlin seemingly disappears out of nowhere. Luckily, he's able to find him again each time this happens.

The journey takes approximately five hours, and eventually, Arthur hears Merlin come to a stop ahead of him. Arthur creeps forward until he has a clear view of Merlin, hiding behind the brush to remain unseen.

For a moment, Arthur is confused as to why Merlin has stopped. There is no one to be seen and no signs of the Druid camp. However, despite this, Merlin appears to be waiting for something.

Suddenly, four robed figures emerge from the shadows, striding gracefully toward Merlin. Arthur puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, ready to leap from his hiding place and defend Merlin if the need arises. However, the Druids stop directly in front of Merlin, making no move to attack, quelling Arthur's anxiety slightly, although his hand does not stray from his sword's hilt.

Then, after a moment of silence, something impossible happens. The Druids bow to Merlin, not a full bow, but a bow nonetheless. Arthur's mouth drops and countless explanations fly through his mind, each one worse than the last.

"Emrys." One of the Druids, the one who seems to be the leader, greets respectfully, straightening his back as he comes out of the bow.

To be fair, Merlin seems rather shocked by the greeting he has received, although he doesn't so much as flinch at the name that is so very foreign to Arthur.

Merlin nods, bringing himself to his full height, making a rather imposing figure, something that Arthur never thought he'd relate to the gangly, clumsy boy that he calls a manservant.

"I seek an audience with the leader of this camp." Merlin says diplomatically, his voice even, lacking the fear that Arthur would expect from him when faced with four magic users.

"Then an audience you shall have, Emrys. I am the leader here. You may call me Iseldir." After he finishes speaking, the Druid leader, Iseldir, pulls down the hood of his robes, revealing a set of weary eyes that have obviously seen their fair share of tragedy, and salt and pepper hair that falls past his ears.

"It is good to meet you, although I wish it was under better circumstances." Merlin says as the other three Druids draw down their hoods as well.

"As do I, Emrys. Come, allow us to share our fire with you." Iseldir guides Merlin through the trees and out of sight.

Arthur takes a moment to reflect on what he's just witnessed. There was an obvious level of formality in the way Iseldir spoke to Merlin, as well as the fact that Iseldir seemed to know who Merlin was immediately, trusting him and inviting him into his camp without any need for explanation. And then there was the way the other three Druids look at Merlin, with a level of reverence usually set aside for royalty and nobility. And, of course, the odd name by which Iseldir was addressing Merlin. What's even more confusing to Arthur is the fact that Merlin wasn't fazed by the name, obviously having been called by it before. Doubt about his friend's allegiances begins to creep into Arthur's head, but he quickly pushes them away. This is Merlin. He's loyal to a fault and has demonstrated his devotion to Arthur on countless occasions. And, most importantly, Merlin is Arthur's friend. He would never betray him, Arthur is sure of it.

After a sufficient amount of time has passed, Arthur emerges from his hiding place and begins to stealthily follow Merlin and the Druids. Eventually, he begins to hear the dull chatter of a crowd. He's found the camp.

Arthur perches behind a tree, ensuring that he has an unobstructed view of the entire camp. There are about ten tents pitched in two lines that frame a centralized space, where there is a small fire and a few other necessary comforts. Merlin is sitting on one of the logs surrounding the fire, a group of children flocking around him.