When Madison finished talking, she paused to catch her breath. She was finding it increasingly difficult to breathe as her shoulders racked with sobs, but even till then angered by his incomprehensible silence on the other end she continued, "You made it very clear exactly how you feel about me earlier right, back then in New York. I've accepted that. I've accepted that you hate me for life, and honestly I don't go blame you. I sent you those letters because I was willing to try..." She sniffed, wiping her nose with the sleeve of her jacket, "I was willing to talk, make you see reason with me, and still, you ignored them, so I have my answers. So tell me? What more do you—"

"Letters?" Damien cut in, surprise thickly coating his voice, "What letters? I have no idea what you're talking about. When did you send me letters?"

Madison laughed bitterly, tears escaping the corner of her eyes.

She knew exactly what he was doing. Trying to deny ever seeing the letters or act nonchalant towards her statement, but she was well prepared for him all of a sudden.

"Right, of course. I know what you're doing now, lying? Now you want to act dumb and pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about? Typical of you." She spat.

What hurt her most was the fact that he still continued to deny it. He was still having the effrontery to sound surprised, and she couldn't believe it.

Everything was just so ridiculous.

"Madison, I don't know what..."

"Just stop. Stop it okay." She cut him off, the way her name sounded coming from him, making her cry harder.

She didn't want this... she just wanted to talk to Alvarez. She was just so tired of all of this honestly, and she was already on the verge of giving up.

"You have made it clear so many times that you hate me. You said it to my face, you showed me, and it's fine. Just leave me alone, okay? I have had it with this whole thing, but not anymore. I have never felt so much pain in all my entire existence..." Her voice broke, her throat hoarse and hurting at the same time, "And it's all because of you... you have caused me enough pain for a lifetime. So just leave me alone! Leave me and let me have my peace."

There was a cold silence.

"Now!" Madison said again, her voice still shaking,  "I know Alvarez must be back from wherever he went to go if he did, so kindly hand the phone back to him." Her voice was cold and piercing, but she did not care.

"Okay." She heard Damien whisper from the other end after a while.

There was a brief silence and the sound of distant voices, like he was talking to someone who was none other than Alvarez and she felt relief instantly course through her.

"Hello Madison, what's up?" Alvarez cool and collected voice came on instantly, and Madison remembered the reason why she called.

She felt fresh tears prick her eyes once more, and clearing her throat she brought the phone closer to her lips.

"Hello, Alvarez?"

.......

Damien, still stunned and reeling from the conversation with Madison, handed the phone back to Alvarez.

He could see Alvarez staring from the phone in his hand, to his face as he looked at him questioningly.

Alvarez looked back at Damien in shock when he saw that it was Madison on the line, but he quickly turned away, looking down at the glass on the table as his best friend began to discuss with her.

The sound of her voice through the other end after so long had him wistfully thinking, and then the way she had lashed out at him in a way that he hadn't expected, was what he didn't understand at all.