"Phew...we managed to avoid expulsion." Deuce breathed. "That was a close one."

Ace smoothly slid into the conversation like he hadn't just had a small crisis over the blonde two feet away from him. "Yeah, no kidding."

"La la la la la!" Grim sang. I'm a student at Night Raven College! La la la!" The feline creature trotted happily at the front of the pack without a care in the world. Elle smiled and shook her head fondly. Really, he was like a little kid. Was this how it felt to have a younger brother?

"I'm gonna be the top mage on campus in no time! Enjoy eating my dust, boys!" He bragged.

"Wow, way to exclude Elle." Was Yu's dry answer.

"I'm not! Elle's gonna be my number one assistant on the way to the top! She's my secret weapon!" Elle tilted her head, catching onto what he was implying rather quickly.

"Oh, you still want the tutoring? Sure, I can do that."

Deuce stared at her incredulously. "Wait, you're going to be learning magic from scratch? And then teach it? Is that even possible?"

"She's not just going to," Yu sighed, "she already started. Eight whole pages of notes. It's crazy."

"Seriously?! Elle, what the heck! That's nuts!" Ace cried.

"I really don't mind. I'll be able to stay on top of it."

"That's not the point!" Ace ran a hand through his hair. "Ahh, whatever. If it works, it works. Best of luck to the both of you, then."

"I guess we're schoolmates now. Grim, Yu, Elle—welcome to Night Raven." Deuce smiled warmly at the three.

"I just hope this all goes well..." Yu sighed. Elle nodded quickly in agreement.

"The way you both faced that monster head on even when you didn't have a bit of magic showed a whole lot of guts." Deuce argued, "With steel nerves like that, you'll be fine. Even in this school." A wicked grin formed on his face that Elle had never seen before. She watched him curiously. Ace raised an eyebrow.

"Say, what's the deal with you sometimes talking like a punk, anyway?"

Deuce's expression immediately morphed to one of shock, his cheeks reddening once he noticed Elle's inquisitive gaze.
"Huh?! D-Do I? I think I talk pretty normal."

"I don't think it really matters how he speaks, as long as his intentions are good. And from what I've seen, they usually are." Elle offhandedly stated. Deuce made a choked noise that he tried to disguise as a cough, rapidly turning around. Ace side eyed him, an almost unnoticeable pout on his lips.

"Whatever. Let's just get back to the dorm. After nearly getting expelled, the last thing we need is a curfew violation."

Yu smirked smugly. "You guys have a curfew? That sucks."

"Shut up! Not my fault Heartslabyul has a literal textbook of rules." Ace defended. Deuce, having recovered, stopped trailing behind the group and reentered the conversation.

"We're both from Heartslabyul House, by the way. What dorm are you guys in?"

"We never got a name, actually..." Elle admitted. Grim turned around to add in his own comments.

"The dorm we're in has been abandoned for years... We've taken to calling it "Ramshackle House." The ol' dump is literally full of ghosts. Yeesh."

Ace mimicked Yu's smug smirk from before. "You guys have ghosts? That sucks."

"I'll make good on my threat at the mines, don't test me." Yu said, shooting a withering glare over at the heart marked boy.

"Your what?" Elle asked.