XXXI

"Did they see your face?"
- The Doctor, Human Nature

Penelope wasn't quite sure how long she had been in 1913, but not long enough for the hurt to go away. She had luckily landed a job as a librarian in a local boy's school. She loved the boys here and had gotten a very strong reputation as someone not to be messed with.

But they still loved her despite this. Plus some of them were a little scared of the matron, and she sometimes patched up any odd scrapes or cuts that they didn't want to get in trouble for.

Recently there had been talk of a new history teacher, and maids. Unfortunately Penelope hadn't been able to properly greet them yet. Laying down her book, she stands, dusting off her dress. If there's anything about this time she loved, it's the outfits. Doesn't cost as much either.

Exiting the library, a tall man almost walks directly into her. Stumbling back a little, he managed to reach out and catch her arm, stopping any serious injuries. Trying to calm her breathing, she checked herself over as the man apologised.

"I'm sorry, I was just on my way to meet the librarian. I wasn't expecting anyone else to be in here."

"Yes, well, that's one way to introduce yourself to her." She could hear the surprise in his voice as she finally looked up, her throat thankfully catching her heart for her, or else she might've been sick.

"You're the librarian?! I'm sorry then, I'm John Smith. I had heard a lot about you from the boys. Thought it was time to greet you myself." Penelope wasn't sure, but this man couldn't possibly be the Doctor. There was something off about him, so she had to shake out the surprise and greet him.

"Funnily enough I was on my way to find you, thought it better than being locked away in my library any longer." John smiled at her and something in her heart melted slightly. He looked so much like him it was actually uncanny.

"Well, would you like to walk with me then? I'm still not sure of the layout of the school, and I could use some help." She agreed, following after him with a smile on her face. Something in her ached but she ignored it. This wasn't the Doctor, this was just a man with his face, she needs to pull herself together.

They walked through the school and out into town, Penelope showcasing some of her favourite places, such as the small café tucked away besides the bank. And the playing field that some of the boys would bring her to so that they had a referee for their football games.

Talking to John came easy, it wasn't until they were sitting on a bench outside Penelope's cottage, marvelling over the fields, that he turned to her with a confused look on his face.

"You know, I can sometimes be a little all over the place, and I'm not sure I actually asked for your name." She smiled, he hadn't and she had been waiting for him to realise.

"You didn't, but I don't blame you. I wasn't exactly the most normal of meetings. I'm Penelope McCrimmon." He playfully brings her hand up to kiss it, sending sparks down into her arm. She prayed he couldn't feel the way her hair stood on end.

"It's been a pleasure to meet you, Miss McCrimmon." He then looked panicked, almost checking out her hands. "It is 'Miss' isn't it, you're not married are you, or taken at all."

"I'm not married, no. Nor taken." He grins, letting go of her hand and standing, bouncing back and forth on the balls of his feet and his heels.

"Then I hope we can find some time to do this more often."

"So do I, John." He smiled wider and bid the woman goodnight. Feeling proud of himself for being able to talk to her before any of the other men in town figured out how beautiful she is.

From the moment he walked into her, those few hours ago, he felt like something clicked into place in his mind. A mind that he's used to being frazzled finally falling quiet in her presence. She felt like what he had arrived in this small town looking for. And now there is nothing that can stop him from keeping her close.

 And now there is nothing that can stop him from keeping her close