XIX

"Two nights out in a row for you. That's dangerously close to a social life."
- Tish, The Lazarus Experiment

Clutching her invitation tightly, Penelope could only tell herself to breathe as Jasper came round and opened the car door.

He had driven them here, and in the time it took to get ready, leave and drive, Penelope had managed to stress herself out about the entire event. Even as Jasper took her hand to help her out, she was muttering to herself.

"Would you stop it." He locked the door behind them and started to guide her towards the event. "You're going to do great."

"What if I say the wrong thing and lose our funding?"

"Believe me when I say he's going to be more focused on what you're wearing than what you say." She gave Jasper a side eye before smiling and linking her arm through his.

"Why? Is that how you're going to spend the night, Jasper?" The poor man went a little pink and coughed, refusing to look at her properly. Knowing she won, she patted his arm slightly and pulled him along.

Despite the teasing, she was very grateful that he had managed to calm her nerves a little. And she was beyond happy that they were able to spend time together outside of work and his apartment. They just didn't have time at the moment.

Penelope handed over her invitation, and with Jasper as her plus one, they were let inside.

The room was gorgeous, exactly what she expected from a rich old man. The circular chamber in the centre of the room was a little strange, but she thought nothing of it.

Tonight was their night off, and they were going to enjoy it. She was finally able to wear the long sparkly earrings that Gwen had gotten her as a welcoming gift. And Jasper was just happy to be with Penelope and away from paperwork.

They were greeted by several people that evening, people they've had to work with before, and some benefactors. So unfortunately they were actually representing the company and not really getting time off.

It wasn't long before Lazarus himself beckoned the two over. Eliciting two quiet grumbles of annoyance as they make their way over.

The old man shook Jasper's hand and took Penelope into his own, holding it tightly. It only made her slightly uncomfortable. But he was old, what could she do?

"Thank you so much for coming tonight, it's a pleasure you have you here from Torchwood. You're really doing a service for our country."

"Thank you sir. We couldn't do it without your input, so there is an overwhelming thank you from Torchwood for helping us keep the country safe." He nodded absentmindedly and wandered off somewhere behind them.

The two looked at each other and smiled, a little giddiness taking over. Jasper then led the two of them over to a table he saw with drinks and food, with a hand resting carefully on her waist.

The two didn't even think about the action, it had become semi-normal. Penelope guided everyone around like this, even Jasper, so he started doing it back as a joke. But it was comfortable and they didn't mind so he just.. never stopped.

As they were walking to get drinks, Penelope spotted a familiar face in the crowd and lit up. Stopping suddenly, she absentmindedly placed a hand on Jasper's chest.

"I'm going to go say hi to someone, would you get the drinks love." He nodded and wandered off. He hadn't been called love before.

Penelope made her way through a sea of people before stopping in front of someone she never thought she'd see again. Tapping her shoulder, the woman turned around quickly, looking very surprised to see her.

"Oh my god! Hello, I didn't think I'd see you again."

"Neither did I!" The Doctor stood just behind Martha, trying to pretend that he hadn't been watching Penelope all night. And that he was completely unaware of the dress she was wearing. It bought back old memories and he really didn't like that.

But after watching her from afar, and seeing how far she had come, he felt something chip away at the anger in his head. Even if she works for Torchwood, how bad can it truly be if they've saved the world he wasn't here for them.

 Even if she works for Torchwood, how bad can it truly be if they've saved the world he wasn't here for them