XVIII

"Did he say he was going to change what it means to be human?"
- The Doctor, The Lazarus Experiment

Jasper was looking around confused. Penelope had dragged him out shopping but everything seemed too over the top to him.

"I'm not sure why I have to come."

"Because-" Penelope was struggling in the dressing room as Jasper waited outside. She was fully prepared to fist fight this piece of clothing. "If I have to go to 'represent Torchwood' then so do you."

"Why me and not Jack, he's better than me at social events."

"He only thinks he's better because he manages to sleep with everyone. And besides, you dragged me into Torchwood and this is my thanks." She flew open the curtains and smiled at Jasper, trying not to think about how difficult it was to get into this dress.

It's a dark red, velvety sort of material. And honestly she only grabbed it because it was on sale. Twirling lightly, she watched him for a reaction.

"You look so uncomfortable."

"I am, oh my god, I hate this dress so much. Why do I have to do this?" She closed the curtains and got ready to try on the next dress, which might also be on sale.

"Again, why are we actually going?"

"Lazarus Industries provides a lot of our funding and equipment for free. No catches. Plus the man is brilliant. Tomorrow is a way to showcase our thanks and support for all he's done. At least that's what I've been told." Finally getting out of the dress, she leant her head against the mirror and just caught her breath.

These dresses are going to be the reason she kills someone.

But she gets on with it and grabs the next one. It's a little prettier than the next one, and maybe easier to put on. But the straps at the back are already stressing her out.

"Alright how about this?" He looked up from where he had zoned out looking at the floor and shrugged.

"The colour works, but with the stories I've heard about Lazarus you might not want your entire leg out Pen." Stroking the fabric, and trying to flatten it, Penelope sort of agreed with him.

"I think I've got another one in this colour, hold on." She disappeared again but the curtain opened again really quickly, and Jasper looked up alarmed. "You could at least be nice to me Jasp considering you have to do all this next." She disappeared with a glare that left a smile on his face.

She was gone for a while longer until the curtain opened up again. And this time Jasper couldn't quite get the words together in his head.

It was an emerald green dress that fell to the floor, with a slit in the front so that her legs were on show. The fabric barely seemed to touch Penelope as she walked towards him. She was smiling and for a split second he forgot that she was his boss.

"I'm guessing from the fact I didn't get a snarky comment that this works."

"It's- uh.. yeah. Yeah it works." She laughs and pushes his shoulder lightly.

"God, you are such a man Jasp. Could you read the label and tell me what kind of dress it is. I didn't even check before I put it on and the event has to be formal." She turned and this was the first time that Jasper saw the crossed straps, exposing her back.

He carefully took the label, praying he didn't actually touch her, and read from it.

"It's a.. Chelsea Satin High Slit Formal Dress." She turned back around to a vaguely confused face. "I hope that means something to you. Because to me, those were just words."

"It does, let's pay for this and see how long you need. Complaining about me taking forever, bet you're even longer than I am." After paying and leaving they found a store selling decent suits for men. And Penelope helped him choose the ones that matched her dress for him to try.

The lucky bastard only needed to try on one suit.