Chapter 12

It was one in the morning, and Taylor had decided to go out drinking to let off some steam.  Now, pleasantly buzzed, she was walking home.  Along the way, from an alley, a familiar face appeared.

"Psst!"

Taylor turned.  "Taylor Lautner," she said, "what's up?"

Lautner sighed.  "Jake and the others want me to rough you up," he said.  "Supposed to be proof of my loyalty, but listen.  I have a makeup kit here, and I plan to make it look good by faking your injuries."

"If it works..."

"I also," he said, beginning his work, "have new information on these idiots.  They're planning to sabotage your jet in three days."

"I'll let my pilot and my mechanic know, definitely."

"They figure since your next concert's in a week..."

He finished a few minutes later.  "Okay... now lay down, and I'll take a picture."

She sprawled out, went limp and half-closed her eyes.  After the picture was taken, she stood up, washed her face in a nearby puddle, dried herself, and put her real makeup back on.

"Thanks Tay," said Lautner.

Taylor headed home and smiled when she saw Damien's car pull into the driveway.

She walked over, and he shut the car off.

"I think I threw them off for a while," said Taylor."

"Yeah?"

"The other Taylor was sent to beat me up.  He decided to make me up instead."

"So you looked beat up."

"Yeah... and I think we fooled them... for now.  They wanna sabotage the jet in three days."

"They're probably hoping you have to fly somewhere."

"Not for a week."  She smiled.  "You know you can come in right?"

They entered the house, and Taylor flopped onto her couch as Damien petted one of the cats, who let out a happy meow.

"Hungry?"

Taylor cocked her head.  "Hm?"

"Food, sweetheart... have you eaten?"

Taylor nodded.  "Yeah, I'm okay.  Had something back at the bar."

Damien sat next to Taylor and smiled as they cuddled.

"Megan's a weird name for a cat..." she said drowsily.

"There's a story behind that."  Damien sighed.  "I named her after my first girlfriend.  She's affectionate like her, and always happy like she was."

"If that's the case... why didn't you guys work out?"

Damien sighed.  "Because, Taylor...". He blinked back tears.  "She died."

Taylor gasped, her eyes beginning to water.  "Oh my God..."

"She was shot on her way home from a friend's house for what?  Fifty lousy dollars so a junkie could score another hit of crack?"

Taylor buried her head in his chest.  "I'm sorry," she whimpered.  "I'm so sorry..."

"If anything happened to you, I couldn't live with myself," Damien whispered.

Taylor closed her eyes.  "I know..." she whispered.  "I know... it's okay..."

The rest of the night was spent simply cuddling.