Chapter 3

The next day, Damien had just pulled up in his black Chevrolet Malibu.  It boasted a spoiler, and a Ranger tab was on the back bumper... Damien had served for eight years, being tapped for the Army Rangers three years in, and, two years ago at the age of 28, been discharged honorably as a major.

He headed for the lobby, noticing a huge crowd carrying signs with messages of support for Taylor.

"Swifties are out in force," he muttered, heading inside.

"Can I help you?" Asked a friendly receptionist.

"Damien Thorndyke, I'm here to see Taylor Swift?"

"Another Swiftie?"

He leaned forward, murmuring, "look... I really don't want everybody to hear this, but... I'm one of the two people who helped her until the ambulance came.  A lady named Gracie called the ambulance and helped resuscitate Taylor.  Ah... Gracie Stevens."

"Oh, I see.  Let me grab the doctor and see what he says."  She dialed a short extension.  "Yes, Doctor Green?  It's Heather.  I've got a Damien Thorndyke here for Taylor?"

There was a short pause.

"Okay... okay.  Thank you."  She smiled.  "You can see her... but she won't talk much.  I'm afraid she's still sleeping off the anesthetic."

Damien nodded as he was given a slip of paper.

When he reached the room, the doctor had just left.  Damien pulled up a chair and sat next to Taylor's bed, smiling as he listened to the slow, steady beep... beep... beep of the heart monitor.  Experimentally... gently... he took her hand.

The beeping increased in frequency slightly as Taylor's brain activity changed slightly.

A nurse walked in, looking at the monitors.  "She's happy," she said softly.  "Now... let's see what else is new."  As the nurse busied herself caring for Taylor, Damien stroked Taylor's hand gently.

Meanwhile, in her comatose state, Taylor was dreaming.

She was barefoot and wearing the same blue dress from that night, sitting under a tree by a clear lake, watching a small fairy dart around.  The fairy was humming softly, a man was sitting next to her, holding her hand.  She couldn't see his face... but she knew she was safe.

"Hey, Taylor," he said gently.  He looked into her eyes and smiled gently.

"I remember you," she said softly.  "Damien?"

"Are we feeling a little better, sweetie?"

Taylor curled her toes happily as she leaned into him, listening to him talk.

"Damien..." she whispered as she closed her eyes.

When she opened them, she was in a comfortable hospital bed.  Damien was smiling as he held her hand.

"Damien," she whispered, smiling weakly.

The nurse smiled.  "Good morning," she said.  "I'm guessing you want breakfast?"

Taylor could only nod.

The nurse left, and Taylor squeezed Damien's hand.

"Hey," he said softly.

Taylor let out a content hum.  "I had a nice dream," she muttered.

"Yeah?"

She nodded.  "Could you... could you hold me?"

Damien slid his arm under Taylor's head, his hand on her shoulder.  He was still holding her hand.

"Just like that... it makes me feel safe."  She smiled as Damien squeezed her hand.  "You saved my life," she said, cupping his cheek.

"I was in the right place at the wrong time," Damien said, blushing.  "It was nothing."

She pulled his hand to her warm cheek, humming happily.  "Sorry if I'm being weird..."

"You're not," Damien said softly, kissing her forehead.  "It's okay."

"That was my forehead, genius."

Taylor placed her hand behind Damien's head.  "My lips are here."  She pulled him into a gentle kiss.

Damien, very pleasantly surprised, returned the kiss softly.  When they broke off, Taylor smiled.  "That's for saving my life," she said, blushing.

When the food arrived, Taylor smiled.  "Hungry?"

Damien smiled back.  "If you're offering."