Chapter 5

"Hey!"

A noticeably happy Taylor Swift had just picked up the phone.

"Hey Taylor.  What's up?"

"Honestly, ever since Galeventi's, my mood.  It's been two weeks, and this is only the third time you've called... why?"

"I don't wanna seem too clingy, it'd scare you off."

"You can call me more, it's okay.  In fact, please do. Every two or three days is perfect!"

"Sounds fine.  Hey... not to open up old wounds, but... do we know who stabbed you?"

"We do.  It was the current girlfriend of one of my exes.  Don't get excited, she's behind bars.  But they couldn't pin it on my ex.  I'm sure he told her to do it."

"Do you want my help?"

Taylor sighed.  "You know what?  I'm gonna take you up on that.  I'm sure more than one of my exes want me dead.  I'm scared... but I need to attack this with a level head."

"If you need anything..."

"I know.  Now I need to go.  Concert starts in five minutes."

"You'll do great, Taylor.  I know it."

Damien leaned back in the easy chair in which he was sitting.

"So... evil exes..." he said to himself.  "Christ, I feel like Scott Pilgrim.  Ah well."  He sipped his beer as the concert started on the television, enjoying the show, but also observing the crowd when they were on the screen, looking for trouble.  Fortunately, he found none.

After the show was over, Damien's phone vibrated.  Seeing Taylor on his caller ID, he smiled.

"You were fantastic," he said.

"Somebody was in my dressing room."

"What did they take?"

"Nothing... but they left something behind... it looks like a syringe and a dirty needle.  The syringe is empty."

Damien's heart started to race.  "Where did they leave it?"

"It's next to a pie that was given to me before the show."

"Taylor," said Damien evenly.  "Listen to me.  Don't eat that pie.  Get what you need, call the police, and get out."

"Okay."  Taylor's voice was a little thick.  "My... my next show is the day after tomorrow in Providence.  I... I'm sending you a backstage pass."

"I'll be there."

"The jet's coming into Providence tonight... please pick me up so we can talk.  I'm sending you the address."

"Okay."

"I- I'm really scared, okay?  I know... I gotta be smart and I have to be calm... but ever since I was stabbed it feels like someone wants me dead all the time."

"You can't bottle it up.  It's unhealthy."

"Yeah... you're right.  I... I'll see you soon."

That night, on the drive home from the airport, Taylor was calmer, but a little shaky.

"It's gonna be okay," Damien said softly.  "I'm not letting anyone hurt you... okay?"

"Why does anyone want... want me dead?"

"Just breathe," he whispered.  "Do we need to stop?"

Taylor nodded.

Damien stopped the car in an empty parking lot.  "No one," he said softly, "is going to hurt you, Taylor.  I'm here.  No one's gonna hurt you."

Taylor started breathing heavily.  "They're after me..."

Damien gently started to dry the few tears clinging to her face, causing her to gasp.

"Sorry," he whispered.

Taylor sniffled.  "I'm just... I'm just jumpy."

Damien looked into Taylor's eyes.  "You're safe, Taylor.  While you're in this car... while you're with me... you will always be safe.  Okay?"

"I know... but that dressing room thing, and being stabbed, has me really on edge.  I'm really, really scared."  Her voice thickened.  Taylor sighed shakily as she shook her head.

"I can wait as long as you need."

"I don't like having to depend on others for anything," she said.  "I'm a strong, smart woman... Independent."

"Even the strongest people have feelings.  I was scared every mission I ran.  I... I'm not helping, am I?"

"Yes you are," said Taylor, taking his hand.  "I... this isn't something I've dealt with before, I'm not a military girl.  Damien, I... I need...". Taylor sighed.  "I need to be strong, but I just want to be safe..."

"Would you like me to hold you for a while?"

Taylor nodded.

Damien took her in his arms and gently held her as she started to cry softly.

"I'm here," Damien whispered.  "You're safe... I'll protect you."

Taylor closed her eyes.  "I know," she said through her tears.  She smiled.  She felt safe with Damien, and was starting to trust him, if only a little.  She was still scared, but she knew deep down people cared.  Damien did, certainly.  She settled a few minutes later.  "Damien..." she said.

"Hmmm?"

"You've done so much... but it's not fair... what have I done?"

"You're beautiful inside and out.  That's a rare trait in this world.  I don't just like you because you're Taylor Swift.  You haven't been conceited towards me at all, I mean for God's sake, even if it wasn't intended to be romantic, you asked me out!  You're intelligent, you're strong, independent.  You'd make a fair Ranger."  He sighed.  "You're... you're my type, Taylor.  I care for you.  I don't need anything in return."

Taylor smiled.  "You have no idea how it feels to hear you say that... most guys throw themselves at me because 'ooh it's Taylor Swift!'  But there are times I just wanna be Taylor.  And I feel like it's not the fame or status you care about... it's me.  Just Taylor.  And that's special."  She gently pulled away.  "Think I'm ready to go."

Damien smiled and started driving again.

"I'm here for you," he said softly.  "Remember that."