5. Papers (EJ x Reader) (Part 1)

I'll be honest- I was never a runner.

I mean yeah, sure, I'd go out on runs a few times for fun, I was even on a cross country team back in 5th grade, but running wasn't ever my thing.

After my little sister was born, I stopped running entirely. I moved onto other things, deciding to spend all my time online as opposed to outdoors. I even started taking online classes. It worked out pretty well, my mom would be able to take my sister out to the playground a couple blocks down from my house, and I could take care of my sister when my mom was at work.

Everything was calm. Peaceful. There wasn't any need to rush around, or panic. It was just me, my mom, and my sister.

Though I couldn't avoid the outdoors entirely. On this extremely dreadful and horrible, absolutely horrendous day, my mom asked me the worst question that could ever me asked. An idea that only the god of hell could propose.

"Can you go on a walk with your sister?"

"Wait- a WALK? You're telling me, you want me to go OUTSIDE? With the DOG SHIT? And PEOPLE?"

"I have work I can't take her out- and don't curse in front of your sister, she's still a little too young to be knowing those words," my mom said calmly.

I looked down and sure enough, there was my sister, peeking out at me behind our mom's legs.

I couldn't believe her though. Outside? Really? I had stuff to do! I had a Minecraft convention my friend was hosting to attend! I had just bought a new game off Steam I was going to play! I was only halfway done with the achievements in Stardew- oh yeah and I had a few assignments to finish- but seriously? Outside?

"But mom" I groaned, slouching slightly for extra effect.

"But no," my mom said, "Not negotiable, plus you don't have to do much, just walk around a little or go sit on a bench at the park while she plays. If you're scared of the sun though, I have an umbrellas you can take so you won't die because of the UV radiation," she joked with me.

I laughed a little bit, "I'll be okay I don't need an umbrella. Wait- actually I might- what's the temperature?"

"It's 94 degrees right now and shouldn't get much hotter. You'll be okay, just wear some sunscreen or something," My mom said after taking a second to check her phone.

94? I would just have to make this walk as short as possible then.

-

It took my us about 5 minutes to leave. I had quickly changed into more suitable clothing for the outdoors while my mom put the sunscreen on my sister, which tends to be a difficult task because she hates the texture. Every time she has to put it on she flaps her hands a lot and scrunches up her face.

Me and my mom are used to this by now though. At first it was a little strange, though we do the best we can to make sure the clothes we get her don't have a bad texture, or to make sure that we don't feed her things that make her cry.

She's always been like this, and I honestly see where she's coming from. She acts like I did, and occasionally still do. The only difference is that I started speaking earlier than average and she's still non-verbal at the age of 5.

After we were finally ready, I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my sisters hand.

"We're gonna head out now. I'm guessing that we'll be walking back home?" I asked my mom as I opened the front door.

"I'll pick you up. I'm assuming you'll be at the park?"

"You know me so well," I grinned at her. "See you later!"