Chapter 1

In an ancient time in the world's history, dawn had arrived on the plains and forests dotted around the continent. At this moment, no creature had made any sound, save for the chirping insects.

Then, the sun rose, and in the distance, a massive roar of some creature echoed across the land.

And then, life, at last, began to stir, hearing the roar. A Nasutoceratops lifted its head from marking its territory, as did several Parasaurolophus from grazing. Small lizards had gathered on a rock's edge. A lone Pachycephalosaurus leaped onto a rock, its tail swishing left and right. Indeed, they had all heard the roar, and they were going to answer the call.

The first to leave were the gargantuan Quetzalcoatlus. They flapped their wings and took off, soaring by a roaring waterfall and the swamps below with other pterosaurs. As they flew on, they passed a long mountain range. Looking down, they saw a large herd of Iguanodon plodding along, the largest and eldest leading them, and alongside them, Struthiomimus were sprinting through the plains.

A massive Dreadnoughtus stopped at the top of a hill, a younger one following her. They spotted the herds moving together before lumbering down the hill to join them. In that herd, social dinosaurs like Iguanodon and Triceratops plodded together, and a group of Thescelosaurus scampered around, avoiding being trampled. The final obstacle was a stream, which the Parasaurolophus ran through effortlessly, while primitive birds roosted on the ceratopsians' horns and backs, enjoying the ride.

Soon enough, when the sky started to turn blue, the dinosaurs had made it to their destination: Tyrant Mountain, a great mass of rock in the middle of the plains. For years, Tyrant Mountain had been the symbol of North America, a gathering place and amphitheater. It gave dinosaurs a cool place during the dry season and shelter from floods in the wet season. Most importantly, it was home to their tyrant lizard king and queen: Imperator and Regina, two Tyrannosaurus who had ruled this land for a long time. This gathering was the result of the many traditions passed down from generation to generation of the continent's Tyrannosaurus.

On the edge of Tyrant Mountain stood Imperator, watching the dinosaurs gather at where he and his mate called home. He was an impressive, muscular male Tyrannosaurus with dark tan scales and a back full of brown feathers. A grey-winged Ichthyornis came flying down from the sky and landed before Imperator. This was Spear-Beak, Imperator's majordomo and one of his top advisors. Spear-Beak spread his wings and bowed low before the mighty Tyrannosaurus, looking up at him with a smile. In a few seconds, Imperator's serious face faded into a smile.

Below, the dinosaurs parted and bowed as a newcomer arrived. An old Oviraptor made his way through the crowd and towards Tyrant Mountain. This was Eggbert, the wise old shaman of the plains, who helped heal the dinosaurs of the continent, and read signs from the spirits. Imperator walked forward and smiled down at his old friend, waiting until Eggbert made it to where he sat. It was when the Oviraptor arrived before the two greeted each other with a warm nuzzle.

"You came, Eggbert," Imperator said with warmth in his voice, "My friend."

"I am glad to have made it, Your Majesty," said Eggbert, smiling as well. "The time has come. Now, where is the prince?"

Imperator walked away and headed towards the entrance to the mountain's den. Eggbert watched as he nuzzled his queen, Regina. She smiled back at him before bending down to gently lick an array of tiny feathery heads. They were the chicks, the next generation of the monarchy.

Eggbert knew which was the first born, a young chick who hatched only just a week ago. His name was Rey, his yellow eyes peered up at the newcomer.

Eggbert reached the happy family and bowed to them before focusing on Rey. He lowered his feathery neck down to get a closer look. With a chirp, Rey reached up to pet his beak with his tiny claw. 

Then came an important part of the presentation. Eggbert took a pawpaw fruit he brought with him, and split it open, the juices dripping down onto the rock. He dipped a claw into it and then gently smeared some of the juice onto Rey's head feathers. As he did this, he prayed, "O great Heavens above, look down upon this chick. He has a grand future ahead of him, guided by his father's warm words and embrace. Bless him as you will, and may he follow in his father's footsteps." 

And to polish it off, he took some dirt and sprinkled it onto Rey's forehead, making him sneeze. Imperator and Regina shared chuckles at this. 

Eggbert bent down to gently pick Rey up, cradling him in his arms. As he walked towards the edge of Tyrant Mountain, Imperator and Regina followed him, silent as the shadows beneath them. The sun disappeared behind some clouds, as if waiting for the right moment to shine on the scene at play. 

Finally, once he reached the edge, he lifted Rey up into the air until all could see him. The dinosaurs, from Ankylosaurus to Thescelosaurus to Iguanodon, all shouted and roared and screeched their welcomes to the new prince. Then, at last, the sunlight burst through the clouds, shining down on Rey. One by one, the dinosaurs started to bow to their future king. As for the chick, named Rey, he was unaware of what was going on. 

This was the way of the balance of nature, the way of the wild. In times of ease and hardship, all creatures depended on each other and the order of life to go on. And though Rey didn't know it yet, he would soon complete the cycle as the one true king. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Once the ceremony was over, several dinosaurs approached to give their congrats to the king and queen. But one didn't show up, one not missed much by the other animals. And that was Caroline, the Giganotosaurus

Imperator didn't let his disappointment show, but he couldn't help feeling it. He had now idea why Caroline started hating him, but he had hoped that she would put aside her jealous feelings for royalty, just one day. Sadly, Caroline didn't seem to care, acting as bitter and resentful as before. The previous king and queen of the continent had taken her in as a chick, when she had nowhere else to go, but overtime, she had become a bitter creature, stirring discontent among the locals in the forests, and scoffing at Imperator. 

"Spear-Beak," Imperator called to the proto-bird greeting the dinosaurs. "Come here, if you'd please." 

The Ichthyornis flew over and landed on top of Imperator's head. "Yes, Sire?" he asked with a grin. But when he saw his king's frown, he frowned as well and sniffed in contempt. "Ah...she didn't come to the ceremony? Why am I not surprised?" 

"No, she had not come," replied Imperator. "I was hoping she would set aside her grudge, but she hadn't. If you'd like to tell her that I'm on my way..." 

"Already on it," interrupted Spear-Beak. He flapped his wings and took off towards the lower part of Tyrant Mountain. 

Imperator watched him go before turning back to his family. He wanted to spend more time with them, telling Regina how proud he was of her and how much he loved her, and fussing over Rey and the chicks. Then after that, he would go and confront Caroline, one theropod to another.