Chapter 7

Sunset had arrived by the time the Tyrannosaurus and Spear-Beak got back home. Because of the light of the setting sun, the plains were bathed in colors golden, orange, and red. Many of the creatures would start retiring for the night, while the nocturnal animals began their night shift. Thus, the sunset was usually Rey's favorite part of the day.

But not today. Imperator marched ahead of the chicks, still irritated with his son and majordomo; his anger hadn't left at all ever since they left the graveyard. The chicks trailed behind, Rey still ashamed of himself and Saline not sure how to comfort him. Spear-Beak flew ahead, alternating between pity for the chicks and nervousness about his king's anger. 

"Hey, Spear-Beak?" Rey called up to the proto-bird. 

Spear-Beak noticed him and flew down until he was right above Rey. "Yes, Rey?" 

"I'm really sorry for treating you like that near the watering hole," Rey murmured. "And I'm really sorry I insulted you." 

Spear-Beak sighed and landed on Rey's back. "I forgive you. You're not the first chick who's said such things, and you won't be the last," he said, sounding touched by Rey's apology. "Though I'm afraid I'm not the only one you have to apologize to. You've upset your father. But don't look worried, young master," he added, seeing the immense guilt on Rey's face. "The king does not stay angry forever. He is slow to anger and quick to love. He will forgive you if you are truly sorry." 

Rey really wanted to apologize. He was indeed very sorry, but how could he? He had broken his father's trust. He had even broken his promise to Caroline, to not go to the graveyard. 

"Spear-Beak!" Imperator called almost immediately. 

As fast as he could, Spear-Beak flew over until he landed in front of Imperator. "Yes Sire?" he asked meekly. 

"Take Saline home," commanded Imperator. He was not looking at Spear-Beak or the chicks, instead looking opposite the setting sun. "I have to teach my son a lesson." 

Hearing this, Rey crouched low until he was barely visible. 

Then to Rey's surprise, Spear-Beak defended him. "Don't be too hard on him. He apologized to me for causing trouble," he told Imperator. "Why, I remember a chick, a certain headstrong chick, who was always getting into scrapes. Yet he achieved some prominence, did he not?" 

Imperator nodded. He would be a hypocrite to deny that he had done anything wrong as a chick. For the first time since leaving the graveyard, some of his anger started to fade away, though it still lingered like a burn. 

"You know me too well, Spear-Beak," he murmured. "And I apologize for being rough with you earlier. You did your best with the chicks, and I couldn't ask for more from you." A slightly relieved Spear-Beak nodded, showing that all was well between them. "But you do understand that discipline is important in raising a child. If I don't discipline him, he might not grow up to be a good king." 

Spear-Beak nodded, not wishing to argue anymore. He flew over to where the chicks stood, as Rey kept thinking of the punishment his father would give him. He had also heard of the discipline part and winced. Was Imperator going to beat him? 

"Come, Saline," Spear-Beak told the female chick before turning to the prince. "Rey...good luck." 

The prince could only look on helplessly as Saline started leaving for Tyrant Mountain without him. Spear-Beak took flight and flew ahead of Saline, keeping an eye out for any danger coming their way. 

"Rey!" Imperator called from up ahead. 

Rey winced and started to slink over to Imperator. He didn't bother deliberately slowing down to stall his father, deciding to get it over with. As he walked, though, he stumbled across something and looked down. 

It was one of Imperator's footprints, a huge print that encircled all of Rey's body. The thought of following in his father's path made Rey's head swim with both shame and confusion. How could he follow in his footsteps if he kept messing up? With a sigh, Rey walked on until he stood beside Rey, daring to take a look upward. 

For a while, Imperator said nothing, closing his eyes and thinking. Then, at last, he opened his eyes and stared down at Rey with a stern face. "Rey, I am very disappointed in you." 

"I know." Rey chirped sadly. 

"You could have been killed," Imperator went on, his voice rising in some emotion. "You deliberately disobeyed me, and what's worse, you put Saline in danger! Do you understand what's at stake? You have jeopardized the future of our bloodline." 

At this, Rey began to sniffle and cry, knowing that Imperator was right. He had put Saline in danger and nearly gotten her and himself killed; he hadn't meant for that or endangering his family line. "I was just trying to be brave like you," he whimpered. "I wanna be like you, Dad." 

Imperator sighed and thought for a moment. While he did indeed feel that he had to discipline his son, he knew that Rey really meant it when he said he was sorry. He was a Tyrannosaurus that would slowly come to be angry, yet he was very quick to love. 

Rey, in the meantime, was scared that Imperator would never want to speak to him again. For a moment, he wanted to beg Imperator to say something, just one word. 

"I'm only brave when I have to be, when I have no other choice," Imperator told his son, his voice having gotten calmer. "Rey, being brave doesn't mean you go looking for trouble." 

"But you're not scared of anything," Rey said in surprise. 

Imperator blinked the sadness away from his eyes. "I was today." 

Rey was amazed. "You were?" he asked. He had never known that kings could get scared. 

"Yes," said Imperator, lowering himself to look at his son directly in the eyes. "I thought I might lose you." 

Rey nodded. The bad feeling he had gotten in his heart and belly was now fading away. Imperator wasn't angry with him anymore. Things were going to be okay now. 

"I guess even kings get scared, huh?" Rey asked. 

"More than you could ever know," his father replied, nodding. 

With a smirk, Rey leaned in. "But you know what?" 

Imperator smiled back. "What?" 

"I think those Atrociraptors were even scared-er," Rey said with a snicker. 

"That's because nobody messes with your dad." Imperator said, laughing. "Come here." 

With a gentle huff, he nuzzled his snout against Rey's. The chick peeped and giggled, giving his father a soft lick. All negative feelings he felt earlier were now gone. 

"Dad, we're pals, right?" he asked. 

Imperator chuckled. "Right." 

"And we'll always be together, right?" 

Imperator raised his head. He frowned, not in anger, but in deep thought. How to break it to him gently...

"Rey," he said finally, "Let me tell you something that my father told me. Look at the stars." He lifted his head to the starry night sky, and Rey followed his gaze. "The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars." 

Above them, the stars expanded across the sky like falling snow, the moon shining bright upon them as well. "Really?" 

Imperator nodded. "Yes. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be up there to guide you. And so will I." Then he looked down at Rey and said with a small sad smile, "They live in you, Rey, and they live in me as well. They're watching over everything we see. In every creature, in every star, and in your reflection." 

Tilting his head back and forth, Rey tried seeing any starry Tyrannosaurus leaping through the sky. "I can't see them, Dad," he murmured. 

"Keep looking, son," Imperator rumbled with a smile. "Keep looking." 

So father and son watched the stars together. Rey stood beside Imperator. He trusted his father, but more importantly, he loved him. All that mattered now was that they were under the stars, watching them together. And they would be together forever.