Chapter One: Meet the Bards

Start from the beginning

Each musician at the Conservatory today was a lawful resident of the Ville-Realms, and had auditioned for his spot at the prestigious academy. Some had spent years training at smaller conservatories, while others might have gotten lucky and been recruited as children. In that sense, the men knew what they were getting into; they'd known long before today that Alori would one day arrive to pick her husband from among their ranks. But she wasn't convinced that understanding equated to approval of the tradition by everyone currently staring at her from the stage.

The lanky, blue-haired bard held eye contact longer than was altogether polite, as if he knew what she'd been thinking. Alori challenged this unwelcome scrutiny with a pointed look of her own, only to be surprised when the bard shot back with an arched brow and wolfish grin.

Did he think his irreverence would win him points? Well, he would learn his lesson soon enough. Alori wasn't the kind of woman to be endeared by rude impertinence.

She stiffened, averting her gaze to the other side of the stage and the man standing in front of the steps that led down to the aisle separating them. Her heart beat hectic flutters within her chest. This one might have been the shortest man in the theater, but his presence was anything but small. His posture was immaculate, arms clasped behind his back, his narrow shoulders squared. His hair might have been the darkest of all, but with the punishing sunshine it was hard to decide.

He tucked the inky black locks behind his ears, watching her with equally dark and unfathomable eyes framed by a thin, pale face.

Was this the man whose music Alori had fallen in love with, whose songs wove so deftly with her magic? Did he expect her to know him?

A blush rose to her cheeks, heat spreading through her body as her gaze swept the stage in a final attempt to remember each man who had been selected for her careful consideration. But trying to commit so many faces to memory was impossible. She was too distracted by the self-assured glare of the lanky bard, whose impious smirk still hadn't faded, and the mild intensity of the shorter, dark haired man.

"Welcome, Princess Alori!"

The conductor breezed across the stage, his bellowing voice echoing through the theater. Alori hadn't even noticed the Conservatory's director standing off to the side of the bards, somewhat removed from their congregation. This was only her second time meeting him. Nine months ago he'd visited the palace for her eighteenth birthday celebration. It had been the first time she'd been gifted samples of music from these particular musicians, the first time she'd heard one of his compositions played by her father in the palace's observatory.

Alori curtsied, inclining her chin. "It's a pleasure to see you again, sir." She couldn't recall the conductor's given name and hoped he would remind her without drawing attention to her error.

"Please, call me Tomso." He bowed with a flourish, his round cheeks growing red, and Alori breathed a sigh of relief. His tunic was similar to the bards', but while theirs ranged in shades of white, blue, and gray, his was metallic silver with a tasseled sash tied at the waist. The sheen of the fabric did no favors for the generous swell of his belly. "Your Highness, we've been looking forward to this moment, as I'm sure you have also. I hope the initial presentation was to your liking." He waggled his bushy gray eyebrows, so that her interpretation of his meaning became somewhat scandalous. "How are you faring? You and the marchioness made quite the journey this morning and should like to eat soon, I'd suppose."

"Yes, that would be wonderful."

Alori forced a smile, praying no one sensed the thought flit through her head that the overweight conductor probably suggested meal breaks often.

The blue-haired bard's lips twitched as he continued to stare at her unabashedly, adding to Alori's doubts that her expression hadn't betrayed her. She balled her gloved hands into fists within the folds of her dress.

Why did that one have to be so irreverent and so godsdamned good looking, even with ridiculous blue hair?

With a huff and a thorough shake of her skirts, she followed her grandmother and Tomso from the theater, but not before casting one final glance over her shoulder.

Was the shorter bard scowling at the lanky bard, or was she reading overmuch into his stormy, brooding features?

Oh, but these men were too confusing!

Up until just a few minutes ago, Alori had been convinced there was no need to suss out her favored composer. There was more to a successful royal marriage than music, and Alori had no intention of wedding someone she couldn't get along with. But now that she was here and had stood in front of him without knowing who he was, she was beginning to have doubts.

How could she choose her consort without at least knowing whose music sang so sweetly with the magic running through her veins?