02

"Looking for someone?"

Every part of his body told him that he was in danger, and that he needed to leave as soon as possible.

But he couldn't.

He was frozen in fear, not sure what to make of his situation.

"I'd introduce myself, but you already know who I am, isn't that right, Tanjiro?"

He gulped down the lump in his throat, and found the courage to speak.

"(L/n)...what are you?"

You put a hand over your mouth as you laughed,
"I'll let you figure that out for yourself. I'm sure you'll find out,"

All the signs were there. The unnatural hue of your skin, the sharp teeth, the claw-like fingernails.

"You're... a demon,"

You stepped back into the light of the moon, giving him a full view. In addition to your other attributes, it seemed as though you grew in height as well.

"Bingo!"

Then the realization set into him. What would a demon be doing during the night? Hunting. At that moment, Tanjiro realized that he had made a grave mistake.

To his luck, a rustling noise in the bush behind you distracted you long enough for him to bolt away, too afraid to look back.

But no matter how fast he ran, he could hear your voice as if you were right behind him.

"A game of chase? I'll have you know that the odds may not be stacked in to favor,"

Choruses of your laughter could be heard from all around him.

He knew he couldn't outrun you, so he decided to hide in the closest bush, trying as hard as he could to control his breathing.

The laughter subsided, and all was still. He let out a sigh of relief, thinking that he had just escaped his death.

But as he turned his head, to his horror, you were right next to him, staring at him with your glowing eyes.

"Boo!"

You grabbed onto the back of the shirt, lifting him up like a cat does with a kitten while you yourself emerged from the bush.

"Looks like I got you!"

His life flashed before his eyes, he couldn't die here! He still had so much to do!

"PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!"

You cackled like a witch, and brought the boy closer to you.

"Eat you? Where'd you get that idea from? I've taken quite the liking to you, you know,"

Does that mean he was spared? What else were you going to do to him?

"I think you have something of mine,"

That's right! The sunscreen! He was clutching onto it for dear life while he ran away from you, but found no reason to keep it in his possession, handing it to you.