Attacked or attack?

Start from the beginning

Misako's heart was pounding hard in her chest. What if, she could not fight? Her bones were slower than Kai, her skills were weaker than him. Spinjitzu was a winning thing about her. But her energy would wear out easily. She shook her head, never mind that. The mission was more important. Picking up a Bo-staff, she slipped it into her holder and nodded to Kai. "We may head off."

The two sneaked out the back into the garden. The metal barriers remained at its positions. Lowering them would increase suspicion. They crept along the building, pressing against the perimeter of the building as much as possible. Kai in front and Misako behind, watching their backs. In the middle of the garden was a darker shade of black. Kai stared at it, wondering wether to walk around it or on it. He was not sure, in this darkness, what it was.

"I think it's a hole." Misako whispered to him glancing at the view in front of them before whipping her head round again to look at their backs. Her eyes scanned the area as Kai continued to survey the hole. He stepped forward and shuffled his feet quietly at the edge. He felt uneven soil and nothingness at his toes. He drew his foot back and pulled Misako around the hole. Still pondering on what it could have been.

"Was that the hole we dug when we used the earth driller?" Asked Kai softly, barely a whisper, it was. "No," Misako answered, keeping her eyes behind them. Back to back with Kai. "The hole we dug with the earth driller was way bigger. That looked like only a person's size." Kai remained silent after this. They were approaching the lair fast. "You remember where that entrance is right?" He asked after he passed a familiar looking bush. Misako nodded. She yanked Kai over such that now, she led the way and pulled him behind the bush. "I recognise this." She commented, Kai nodded. "Me too." Misako popped her head to the side, slowly, ever so slowly. She stared at the grass patch stretching ahead to the pedestrian path yet blocked by two trees. She stared down at the grass patch. Frustration creeping into her as she fought with the low light to see. Finally, her eyes caught the little metal hatch that jutted out ever so in-distinctively. "I see it." She whispered, "Let's move."

The two stood up from their squatting position and rounded the bush. Misako bent down to unlatch the opening as Kai kept an eye out. He heard the sounds of metal moving as Misako tried to unlatch the opening. His heart pounded faster, louder at every sound and step they had taken. To this point. He could choose to turn around and run for the odds were against him if he were to enter. He had fear. He had fear in his heart and it was overwhelming. So strong and hard to deal with it hurt him like a splinter piercing through his heart. Without the rest of the team, he realised, missions were so much more difficult and pressured.

Misako heard a click and pulled the hatch open. It was difficult to see as the grass had purposely been grown over it. She nodded to Kai and hopped in. Kai took a deep breath, a final look at his surroundings and jumped in.

They slid. Kai felt the air pushing as his ninja garb. For a moment, unsure and scared of where he would land as felt no surface to hold on to. "Misako!" He cried out, his panic overtaking him. His voice echoed around these circular walls dangerously loud. "It's alright," she reassured him. "There's a cushion underneath." Kai stared down and the black nothingness below him. His legs screamed for support but he trusted Misako, if she said it would be alright. Then it would be alright.

He landed on a surprisingly soft surface, but it was too dark for him to see anything. All he could do was feel. Someone grabbed him by his arm, he gasped and yanked his arm away in shock. "It's just me!" Misako whispered urgently, Kai relaxed and felt the grip around his arm once again. She yanked him forward and dragged him around the corner. A low light was visible, it made Kai squint and the sight before him made him amazed, surprised and mostly horrified.

The area was lid by a single light bulb. Wires splayed out everywhere, sparks flew from the computer station that Lucy had been working on when Misako first saw her. It was a mess of a mess. "Check the rooms." Kai ordered. They opened the doors quietly and slowly, letting the dim light of the single flickering lightbulb seep into the room. The room too, was a mess. The mattress was torn to pieces, like something had torn it apart. A wooden table, lay surrounded by wooden splinters and broken legs. The table itself, was slanted and had a leg broken off it. The walls too, had claw marks and torn paint. "This place is deserted." Kai murmured in disbelief. Disbelief and confusion, coated with utter frustration. He lifted up the mattress hopelessly and flopped it down on the broken bed again. "Let's check the other places." Misako suggested. Kai nodded, "Looks like we're gonna need to investigate."

The search continued. To what seemed forever, was anxious Nya waiting above ground for the return of her brother and motherly-figure. Mother...what mother? Kai was all she had left. It would be utter horror and sheer pain if he was to be lost. Something like that, was something she just could not handle. She fumbled with her fingers furiously as she awaited news and return. "Nya." She heard the robotic voice of Zane behind her, although she already heard him coming due to his heavy footsteps. She turned around, unknowingly holding her breath. "The benders were not in their lair. It was wrecked. The two of them are conductor searches underground." He reported matter of factly. Nya smiled a little inwardly, she knew it would be a bad idea to rush into the lion's den. She nodded and turned to face the window again, overlooking the still, silent city. Asleep and untroubled. At least, there was a higher chance of her brother returning home now. But the strange disappearance of the highly threatening benders, was still at the edge of her mind.

Kai moved his fingers along the metal sides. His thoughts ran through his head like a bullet train, bombarding himself with questions he could not answer and nor could Misako. He frowned as he stared up at a suspended cell. Below was the sickening black dark matter bubbling like hot steam. It disgusted him, made him want to vomit. He moved on, Misako popped into the room he was in and shook her head. "It's the same in all the other cells!" She called out, "Empty and quiet." Kai shrugged. "They've been attacked. But by who?" Misako shrugged as well. "We'll investigate when we're in Borg Tower." Kai nodded, "Come on." He said, heading towards the exit at a quickened pace. He stared at the eerie splayed out wires and flying sparks. A single light bulb. All it took to see this mess. Misako glanced behind one more time before pressing the lift button.

Kai scanned the area still, though they had not seen anyone at all throughout this search in the lair. "Where's that lift Misako?" He asked impatiently. There was work to be done. "I don't know!" She said in what sounded rather panicked. She spammed the button, the irritating high pitched noise of the button carried on continuously. "Isn't the lift working?" Kai asked. Misako looked at the numbers above to lift. "Yes. It's on level one! But it refuses to come down." She continued to spam the button. Kai frowned, he turned around and moved her hand away. "This isn't right." He said. He had a strange gut feeling something bad was about to happen, something devastatingly terrible. The stench of death reeked all over him though no one had died here. The bulb flickered, the sparks flew. And an evil, malicious laughter, crackled all over and echoed against the empty walls. "You have been fooled." Kai's heart began to race as he spammed the button. Shutters slammed down onto the lift, it made him jump, he grabbed Misako's arm and the two pressed against the shutters, terrified. No lift, no escape. "You have been fooled." Came the sound of cackling madness, someone. Something had abandoned their humanity to become this monster. Evil, mad. This was the end. This sounded like death.