4. Two Years After that Weekend

Start from the beginning

(The parents' job is to ensure a righteous upbringing for their children. And when those children grow older, then we should trust that upbringing and Allah and let them step out of the nest)

"But Ami dunya mein har tarha ke log hotay hai" (But their are all kinds of people in the world)

"Aur tum uss ko kiss kiss se bachao gi? She has to learn to take care of her herself, because you will not always be by her side. And neither will a husband", Ami smiled at me gently, "You have a raised a wonderful young lady, who I know will always choose the right path" (And how many people will you save her from?)

My mother wasn't one to praise much, but when she did it was so heartfelt that it always bought moisture to my eyes. Perhaps, she also knew that for a mother there were no sweeter or more comforting words than 'you have raised your children well'. 

I had to admit defeat, "You're right Ami. I'll refuse the dentist's rishta. Farah is too young, and only in her second year of medical college"

She nodded at me and patted my hand, which was her way of saying 'good girl'. With my mind made up about this particular rishta, I started making chai for her, and a second one for myself. But Ami always had to get the last word in. This time though, they weren't what I had expected. 

"You should refuse any future rishtas too unless Farah tells you about one. Mujhe lagta hai ke hamari nawasi ko koi pasand aagaya hai", my mother gave me a sly smile and I almost dropped the hot chai on myself. (I think my granddaughter likes someone)

What? When? How? Who?

Farah

I could still feel my cheeks warm up at my faux pas just before I had left home that day. Nano was forcing me to finish my cup of milk as usual, giving me a lecture about how milk is important for healthy skin and hair and practically every other organ in your body. 

"Tum bilkul apna khyaal nahi rukhti ho. Mujhe tou iss baat ka dar hai ke kal ko tumhari kissi doctor se shaadi ho gayi, tou tumhara dehaan rakhne waala koi bhi nahi ho ga", she had lamented while lovingly stroking my hair. (You don't take care of yourself at all. I am just worried that if tomorrow you get married to a doctor, there will be no one to take care of you)

I was in-between gulps of milk when I found myself grinning at her, "Chalein Nano, phir mein kissy computer engineer se shaadi kar le ti houn. Sirf aap ki khatir" (Ok Nano, then I'll get married to a computer engineer. Only for your sake)

I meant it as a joke, but I should have know my Nano wasn't one to let go of things so easily. Especially, when she sensed a dramatic story!

Her eyes lit up, "Kyun? Koi computer engineer hai tumhari nazar mein?" (Why? Do you have your eyes on a computer engineer?)

"Ji...", I had been quick to start answering but immediately had to pause and swallow the food in my mouth or risk choking, "Nahi...ji nahi Nano. Koi bhi nahi hai" (No, there isn't anyone)

But my stuttering and flushed cheeks must have been a dead giveaway because she had immediately hugged me, and whispered, "Bus beta meri dua to yehi hai ke Allah hamesha tumhe khush rakhe. Leikin Farah you're only 20 years old, and you have a lot more studying left to do. So make sure that you don't get distracted" (I pray that Allah always keeps you happy. But Farah...)

My Nano had been forgetting things lately, nothing major, but sometimes she would repeat instructions to her helper or tell us things that she had just told us a few minutes ago. The doctors thought it was just old age, and had recommended a hearing aid for her. Clearly, that morning her hearing had been sharp as ever, but I did hope that she would forget that I had almost given away a secret I held within me. Even though I vowed to remember her advice and not let myself think of someone who I had met almost two years ago now.