Safe House

*Jay's Pov*

"Here it is." I said as we looked up at the house.

It was a three bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, one upstairs and the other downstairs. A kitchen and a fridge that had some food in it. The living room had a black sofa that faced the TV and all the blinds were pulled.

"A safe house? Who's going to be there?" She asked.

"Just you. Oh, and some cops. We'll put them outside to watch the house."

"So I'll be alone?"

"Yeah. You won't have anyone bugging you." Said Kim.

"I think I'd rather have people bug me."

"Why?" I asked.

"There were two of us in that house and yet...I still felt so alone. She had dementia. She didn't know who I was. She didn't remember me, my mom, my dad anyone. The only memories she had was of her in high-school. She would tell me all the time about her bestfriend, Dianne. She told me how they would smoke behind the bleachers, kiss boys when teachers weren't looking and pass love notes when they were bored."

"I understand you are lonely." Said Kim.

"No. I'm not lonely. Is it my fault?"

"Is what your fault?"

"The fact that everyone in my life has abandoned me."

"No one has abandoned you."

"Yeah, they have."

"No, they haven't."

"My mom and brother left me with my grandmother when I was twelve because I was failing a few classes in school. I just missed my dad and it was hard to focus. Even harder when you can't read what's written down. They left me in Chicago. They aren't dead, they just aren't here."

"I know. I saw their files." I said.

"What about your dad?" Asked Kim.

"He died. Motorbike accident."

"You said he left?" Said Kim.

"I'm so sorry. I tell people he left because it's too painful to say out loud. Him and I had a special bond. He taught me how to make a ring."

"He made things didn't he?"

"Yeah. He made this ring and that knife that you took away."

"I remember you saying."

"Did he make the other knife?" Asked Kim.

"Probably, yeah. They were made as combat knives for soldiers and police. Never for the streets. Secretly, he put serial numbers on them in case someone was to get murdered with the knife. You would be able to track them."

"Do you know who he sold it to?"

"Not off the top of my head but you found the fake documents. I have the real ones hidden. He didn't want anyone finding out about the serial numbers and the documents so he gave them to me. Why they killed my grandmother, I don't know."

"That helps, a lot." Said Kim.

"Any chance you want to help us tomorrow?" I asked.

"I don't know. Thanks though. I'll see you tomorrow, I guess."

"See ya, kid. Oh, this is my number and this is Hank's. Call us anytime, anyday."

"Okay. Bye."

*Hank's Pov*