Chapter 27

BAU Privet Jet

The team was on their way back from Seattle working a serial robbery-homicide case when Hotch's phone rang. "Hotchner," the man said through the phone, "Yea, What? When? Okay, We'll be there as soon as we can," was all the agent said hanging up the phone.

Everyone sat there watching the unit chief whose face fell full of worry and concern. "JJ can you go notify the pilot to get us to O'Hare as soon as possible?" Hotch asked her as the blonde looked at him confused but did what he asked going to notify the pilot of the sudden flight change. "What's going on? Superwoman find another serial killer in the Windy City?" Morgan asked jokingly with a laugh as JJ returned.

Hotch's face stayed serious, "Zoey was shot on the job, she's in critical condition," the man said. "What?" Morgan asked his face falling at the unit chief's words. "When?" JJ asked just as confused. "Wait how'd that possible when she's not cleared for work? She was shot 4 weeks ago she shouldn't have been working at all," Reid said confused. 

Chicago Med

Jay and the entire intelligence team sat in the waiting room of Med along with Will, Gabby, Kelly and the rest of firehouse 51 when the Bau came rushing into the room. "What happened?" Reid asked trying to fight his anger at this point, he was tired of watching his best friend almost die any time her turned around for almost 3 years now.  "Are there any updates?" Morgan asked following up on Reid's question. "We haven't been updated since she went into surgery," Will said softly as Jay sat with his head in his hands with dried blood over his hands from trying to stop his wife from bleeding out on the scene. 

Antonio was the one that explained what happened and how Zoey got shot. "She was shot 4 weeks ago and hadn't been cleared for the field and you sent her into the field anyways? Sounds to me like you're the reason she's on an operating table fighting for her life," Reid snapped at Voight when he found out that the call was in fact the sergeants. "Excuse me?" Voight replied not happy with the fact the doctor was blaming him for the situation. "Reid," Hotch said in a warning tone telling him to calm down "Reid, let's go take a walk," Morgan suggested putting a hand on his shoulder. "No, don't touch me. If she dies this is entirely on you, she should've never been there in the first place," Reid seethed at Voight before storming out of the room followed by Morgan. 

Voight sighed shaking his head as he walked over to the window, "I should've pulled her when he called her Liz," the sergeant said shocking the agents. "What?" Rossi said more than asked, "So let me get this straight Sergeant, Not only did you send one of my agents into the field without the medical clearance or clearance to be back on the job and someone calls her by an old under-cover name and you didn't pull her out instantly?" the unit chief asked him. "Keeping in mind that the last anyone in this city heard of Liz she was left for dead," JJ asked clearly angry. 

At that moment Dr. Rhodes walked through the doors and into the waiting room. "Zoey Halstead," he said sadly. Everyone stood up gathering around as Morgan and Reid walked back into the room. "We did everything we could to try to stop the bleeding but the bullet tore her carotid artery in her neck and despite our best efforts she ultimately bled out on the table. I'm so sorry," The dark-haired doctor said causing Jay to just shake his head. "No, she can't. She's not" he stuttered fighting the tears in his eyes. "Let me see her," Jay said, "I don't think that- LET ME SEE my wife," he said getting mad as Connor nodded silently before leading him down the hall along with Will and into the empty operating room. 

There was s sheet over the table in the middle of the room as Jay slowly walked over. He didn't wanna believe it. She always pulled through, always. Like a cat, the woman had 9 lives. "Jay you don't have- I need to see her" Jay's voice shook as he cut off his brother who pulled the sheet back to reveal Zoey's ghostly pale face that was completely still with her eyes closed. 

Jay choked out a couple of sobs at the sight, "No, baby no. You can't be gone, don't leave me" he said through tears as he held her still warm lifeless hand. "I love you, zo. so much," he cried before pressing a final kiss on her forehead and walking out of the room past his bother. A whirlwind of emotions crossed his mind as he walked back out to the waiting room his eyes landing on Voight. 

Rage engulfed him, "I told you NOT TO PUT HER IN THERE, I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A BAD IDEA."Jay yelled in the sergeant's face. "I made a call I thought was for the best- YOU GOT HER KILLED DON'T YOU SEE THAT!" the detective yelled at the man. "Zoey could've pulled the plug, she had the option to make that cal-" Before Voight could finish what he was saying Jay's fist collided with the sergeant's mouth. 

Morgan, Mouse and Will were the ones that pulled the detective out of the room and away from Voight who had a busted lip and bloody nose from the unexpected punch. "GET OFF OF ME!" Jay yelled pushing them away from him before he stormed off down the hall angrily. 

Chicago River, Downtown Chicago 

Everyone stood on the sidewalk of the Chicago River all dressed up in suits and formal attire. Talking about their fallen friend and family member. "Zoey was the strongest, bravest most stubborn woman I ever had the honour of marrying. She was my everything and it's not gonna be the same without her. I love you Zo, rest easy. You earned it" Jay said with a shakey breath as he poured the ashes into the river. 

Zoey put in her Will specifically that she didn't wanna rot in the ground she wanted to be placed somewhere beautiful somewhere that reminded her friends to remember the beauty in life even when times were hard and painful and the sunset and sunrise over the Chicago river were breathtaking. Everyone shed tears as they watched the sunset over the water as Zoey's ashes float down into the river below.