Chapter 14

The team wrapped up the case in Florida by the end of the week and they were on their way back to Virginia. They managed to arrest their unsubs who would abduct children from crowded public places but that wasn't even the worst part, what this old married couple did to these children would stick with Zoey forever. 

The agent stayed quiet on the flight back to Virginia, of all things she had seen and lived through herself it never got easier. It just slowly chipped away at your soul until there was nothing left, Zoey sat at a table with her headphone in listening to 'World so Cold' by Three Days Grace while she stared out the window of the Jet. 

Could she really keep spending the rest of her life chasing these monsters night and day? Zoey was tired of seeing the dead woman, mutilated, assaulted and the children burned alive. The smell was burned into her sinuses. What would she do if she left the FBI? 

The flight soon landed in Virginia and the team made their way back to the office to finish off the paperwork for the case. "I'll finish off the paperwork, take a couple of days and get some rest. You all deserve it," Hotch told the team as they walked through the glass doors of the office. "Who's down for some drinks?" Morgan asked looking around as Zoey picked up her go back, "I'm probably gonna head home to Jay, it's been a long couple days," the blonde said placing her bag over her shoulder, "You sure? we'd love your company," Prentiss said as the group started walking out of the office. "Yeah, I'm sure- crap I forgot something." the blonde said by the elevator. "Want us to wait- No it's alright, I'll see you guys in a few days," she said before turning on her heels and walking back into the office. 

Zoey sat down at her desk printing off a document before she made her way up to Hotch's office. Knocking on the door, "Come in," the unit chief said as the agent walked into the room. "Can we talk?" she asked pulling the man's attention to her and the papers in her hand. "Yea, get the door," he said as she shut the door. 

O'Hare International Airport, Chicago 

Zoey departed from the flight walking through the large airport when she decided to message Jay wondering if he was working. at home sleeping? or at Molly's for a few drinks. 

'Hey, how's your night going?' -Zoey

The blonde walked out of the airport climbing into a cab when she got a reply. 

'It'd be better if you were home, I'm having a drink with Will at Molly's what about you babe? -Jay

"Molly's bar please," she told the driver sitting in the backseat of the yellow cab before they took off in the direction of the bar. 

'Just wrapped up a rough case,' -Zoey 

It didn't take long for the bright yellow cab to pull up outside the small neighbourhood bar. Zoey climbed out of the vehicle handing the driver the fare and a tip. As the blonde climbed out of the car she felt her phone buzz in her pocket, probably her husband asking if she was alright. Zoey sighed and walked into the bar full of familiar faces even though it wasn't crazy busy. 

The blonde walked in noticing Gabby manning the bar, Kelly was sitting at the bar talking with a brunette as they talked over beers and at a table near the back of the room she could see her husband and brother and law talking over a couple of beers along with Antonio. The sight of them made her smile happy to be home as she walked over to the table. "Hey handsome, is this seat taken?" she asked looking at her husband who looked up confused for a moment before it lit up with a smile. "Your home!!" he said excitedly as he stood up pulling her into a kiss, "Yea I literally just got back from O'Hare, I'm gonna grab a drink," Zoey said setting her bag under the table and walking over to the bar. 

"Look who's back, Mrs. Halstead" Gabby said from the behind the bar causing a smile on the blonde's face. "Yeah, I'm back in town for a couple of days before I gotta head back," Zoey said earning a nod from her friend. "So what are you having? tequila?" Gabby said more than asked, "I'll start with a margarita," she replied earning a look but Gabby made the drink. "So who's my brother talking up?" Zoey asked noticing Kelly and the brunette at the end of the bar. "That would be Stella Kidd she's the new firefighter on truck 81," Gabby replied passing her the drink. "How long has Kelly been drooling over her?" Zoey asked earning a light laugh. "Since she got to 51 almost 2 months ago. 

2 Months? Kelly must really like her then, Zoey thought before she walked back over to the table taking a seat next to her husband. "Margarita?" he asked looking at the drink confused, "Tequila is still tequila my love," Zoey replied drinking the bright green drink. "So how was Florida? I know how much you love it there," Will asked causing the blonde to roll her eyes. "I fucking hate Florida, I am not gonna miss the case there. That's for sure" she replied taking a sip of her drink. Antonio and Jay looked at her confused by what she said, "Why would you miss any cases you work?" Antonio asked catching her slip up. "I don't, that's kinda why I resigned..." Zoey said taking another sip of her drink as she watched shock hit their faces and Jay nearly choked on his beer. "What?" her husband said more than asked. "I handed in my resignation letter before I flew home," the blonde said again shrugging as she noticed how quiet the bar suddenly got. 

"Why? You love your job" Antonio said as the blonde scoffed, "I like the people I work alongside," she corrected. "What happened in Florida?" her husband asked worried, "I'm just tired of the constant dead assaulted, mutilated people I come across. The cannibals, the cases with kids..." she sighed shaking her head. The table sat silently as Zoey drank the rest of the margarita. "Wanna talk about it?" Antonio asked as Zoey just shrugged. "Not without more tequila," she replied. "I got you," Kelly said walking over holding 2 double shots and setting them in front of the blonde. 

Zoey looked at him confused, "I overheard you resigned," her older brother said as she nodded downing one of the double shots instantly feeling the burn of the clear liquid going down her throat. "Children were going missing down in Miami from heavily crowded places and we got called in after 3 kids like 5-10 years old practically babies. This couple would kidnap them and try to raise them as their own trapped in a room they could watch them in," the blonde said thinking about the small room before she downed the second shot. "Did you find the kids?" Will asked her as all eyes were on her. "We found them," she said softly remembering the screams. "When the kids would disobey them or break their stupid rules this couple would... they'd put them in a box and cremate them alive," she said the last part softly staring at the table. "I can still hear his screams and the smell," Zoey shuttered shaking her head at the memories.