Kai-Se pointed to the path he deemed the safest. "Can you lead us there?"

Ka-Ji nodded again and pushed past them. It seemed to be a sign for them to follow. Kai-Se drew nearer to Nao-Zai and took one of his arms. "What are you doing?" the soldier demanded as kai-Se swung Nao-Zai's arm across his shoulders.

Kai-Se resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "I'm helping you run, genius," he said. "Because right now, that's the only thing we need to do."

Nao-Zai stared after the lone snake head weaving past screaming rebels and gods cackling in glee. "Okay," was all he said.

They ran.

Kai-Se kept his eyes on the familiar fenhais flitting past him. There was Misaki's and Yumiko's, looking bright against the glare of the morning sun. Nishi stood at the top of the one the sky bridge connected two lesser pagodas with his arms stretched forward, shooting gusts of strong winds to blow his enemies scaling the wall while trying to maintain the trapping web keeping them all inside the city.

The other gods were scattered around the flat expanse, casting their magic in a series of flashing lights, sparks, and elements of nature which should never be controlled, hissing past weapons and armor. Blood splattered against the once-pristine cobblestones, replacing the smell of incense which once wafted in the air. Boots crunched against broken bodies. Kai-Se and Nao-Zai crept closer to the gate.

A curse bubbled in Kai-Se's throat when he stretched his fingers to call for his magic and found almost none in his system. Like a dried up well, there wasn't a spark left. It seemed like with An-Ri gone, his connection to Shaoryeong and its energy has snapped. And it left him with nothing.

Kai-Se's mind whirred. What could he do? He scanned the courtyard for anything or anyone that could help them. Ka-Ji's ultimate purpose was to slither through the chaos and clear out any incoming projectiles that Kai-Se might have missed. Carrying a man twice his weight and trying to run at the same time wasn't meant to be easy.

Nao-Zai did seem friendly with someone he called Gang-Sen. Perhaps, he was a prominent member in this army currently attacking the council? Maybe that person could figure out how to break Nishi's barrier?

Maybe?

Kai-Se was about to open his mouth to suggest his idea when a gust of wind slammed against Kai-Se's back, propelling him forward. Dust and fog erupted into a frenzied storm, cloaking the clashing weapons and slashing arcs of magic. Instinct flared. He extended his arm, barely stopping his body from catapulting straight against the wall. He rolled to a stop, with Nao-Zai dropping beside him with a strained groan. The soldier raised his head, a wince plastered across his face—the only indication he's still alive and kicking. They gave each other a quick look before scrambling to their feet.

The dust cleared. The fog pulled back its curtain. What greeted Kai-Se was a mess of fallen soldiers, broken weapons, and a council of disgruntled but otherwise totally fine gods. A severed snake head rolled to a stop by Kai-Se's feet. Bile rose from his throat and coated his tongue. No...

Nao-Zai's expression was a mixture of horrified, crushed, and disappointed. His eyes flitted through the landscape, past the lifeless body of his snake-headed friend slowly draining of blood, searching for something only he was familiar with. The barrier remained intact. The rebel army dwindled in number.

It's over.

Kai-Se stepped backward just as the first line of the gods' silhouettes appeared from the clearing smoke.

"You will not escape, young prince," Nishi dropped to the ground like a shooting star, only less fiery and definitely less awe-inspiring to join his god-mates. "There's nowhere you can go where you will be safe from us. We control all of Shinjien."

Kai-Se clenched his fists. Here he was, a human without anything, not even an ancestral spirit to protect him, and he thought it's a good idea to stand opposed to the gods who had the magic, the wealth, and the perfect complex to undermine the continent in a matter of minutes. This surely wasn't the trip his father promised he'd enjoy.

Nao-Zai started swaying as if his body decided now was the perfect time to let him down. Kai-Se's arm shot out to steady the soldier. "We'll get through this," he whispered more to himself than to Nao-Zai. "We'll get through this."

Kai-Se gritted his teeth, his mind whirling with all the possible ways he could die in this place. The gods seemed to read his mind or maybe they'd kill enough humans at this point to know what they're thinking in their final moments because of their slow approach, like a predator stalking their prey. Even Gansai, who was back to his feet as if An-Ri's sacrifice didn't do anything, hasn't even drawn one of his swords yet.

At this moment, Dansarun has won. But that didn't mean Kai-Se was going to admit it.

Nishi chuckled, his pale skin flashing against diminishing moonlight. "To think we'd be able to control a whole continent in just a thousand years," he said to which the other gods grinned, clapped their hands, and whistled. "We'd still be ignored midgets in Shaoryeong had we not opened the gates and started over."

The god of the wind turned to his council and raised his fist in the air. "Here's to us claiming the life we deserve and the world we have cultivated," he declared. "Glory to Dansarun!"

The whole council raised their fists in the air, repeating Nishi's proclamation. Something flashed in Kai-Se's mind. Shaoryeong. The spirit realm. Gates. An-Ri's essence.

A gasp filtered out of his lips as everything connected in Kai-Se's head. Nao-Zai heard it and whipped to him with a look of askance on his face. "Shaoryeong..." Kai-Se muttered under his breath, his hand closing around the necklace slung around his neck. It was just a slab of jade stone right now but when he felt around it, he could still feel the pulses of magic left inside it.

How did the shamans back home summon spirits? They use a bridge that a spirit could use to attain a form in the mortal realm. A bridge. Between worlds.

Bridge...

With a quick yank, the chain around his neck snapped and he held his necklace up in the air. "Hey, chalkheads!" he yelled. The gods turned with a collective annoyed expression across their faces. "You'd love this present from me!"

Nishi's face contorted from amusement to horror in a quick flash when he realized what Kai-Se was holding and what he planned to do with it. Kai-Se smiled, relishing this moment which might as well be his and the gods' last. "Say goodbye to your beloved Dansarun," he said.

Then, he threw the pendant into the ground.