Chapter 9

Ben's POV

"I'm telling you Kat. I think I like him." I said into the phone to my sister, amused by my time in America.

"I think you do. Remember that one time I almost drowned and you didn't do shit." She laughed.

"How's the search going over there?" I asked.

"Well, father has scouted west Europe. He even checked Andorra and Malta. He's getting angry, Benny. And mother is freaking out that something bad happened to you." She said.

"Shit." I muttered to myself. "Maybe I should come back. I don't want them to stress over me."

"Nonsense, Ben. You stay over there at least for a while longer. I'll help mom. And try to land Mason." She teased.

"I'll talk to you soon! And I'll try." I said. We hung up and I sat in the backyard staring into the trees.

"Everything okay?" A soft voice asked me. Mason sat next to me on the bench.

"Yeah. It's just family stuff."

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked. I can still sense the tension after I saved him.

"Nah." I sighed out. Mason looked a bit... occupied in his mind. "I think I just need something to take my mind off of." As soon as I said that, my phone dinged. It was a text from Carl. We exchanged numbers at the pool.

I pulled out my phone and checked the text. Carl invited me to a house party he's having.

"Hey, do you want to accompany me to a party?" I asked him.

"No. I literally almost drowned. I can't show my face in public." He nervously said.

"Please? I'll be by your side. I promise." I told him. He thought about it for a while.

"I guess." Mase said.

We went to get dressed. I put on some comfortable clothes and waited for Mase to finish. I led the way to the house and made talk with Mase.

Arriving at the house, the outside was already full of teens dancing and drinking. I slowed my walk to let Mase catch up.

I was hit with the smell of alcohol, the cheap kind.

"BEN!" Someone yelled. Carl handed me a beer. "Drink up, buddy!" He cheered. He turned to Mase. "Feeling alright, little man?" He asked Mson despite Mase being about 4 inches taller than him.

"Yeah." Mase muttered out.

"Wanna drink?" I asked Mase.

"Nah. I need to be your DW."

"My what?" I asked.

"Designated walker." He smiled at me.

"Suit yourself." I chugged the beer, ignoring the bitter taste.

I grabbed Mase's hand and dragged him to the backyard where I was able to get roaring drunk. Mase would stand there watching me drink, sometimes trying to stop me. However, what's that saying again? YOLO? And I have to be king soon.

And then everything was blurry.

"Ben? Ben?" Mase lightly slapped my face. I groaned. "Shit! Alright big man, let's go home." He said. "Up you go." He hooked my arm around his neck and helped me up.

"Mmmm no!" I tried to say. "Shit! Dad's gonnnna bee mad!" I slurred out.

"Ben! Walk." He said. The cold from the night hit me. I shivered and leaned closer to Mase's body for warmth.

"Mm. You feel sooooooo warm." I said.

"Ben?" He said. I realized I was nuzzling into his neck. I stopped when Ben turned to look at me.

I leaned in to kiss him on the lips.

In my drunken state, even I knew this was it. It was perfect. Like finding the Rosetta Stone.

When I left his lips, Mase's face was red.

"We should get home." He said. I turned and walked.

I hope he doesn't regret the kiss. Because I sure don't.

------

bye! i love you all!

<3