Chapter 1: A New Beginning

"Calm down, calm down. It's just another day. It'll pass whether I like it or not."

Yet you can't help but panic as you stand just outside the door. You finally got your dream job at the local museum. You could barely sleep last night, practicing introductions and rehearsing conversations to yourself. You look down at yourself one more time, hoping the white shirt, tie, and suit pants weren't too formal or too casual for the setting. You take a deep breath and open the doors.

You're greeted by the museum smell you've loved since childhood. Animal taxidermies take up most of what you see immediately past reception. Normally you wouldn't help but feel creeped out, but you have other things on your mind.

"Oh, y/n, right on time!"

You turn around to find your superior, Professor Marie Katherine Wiseman, calling you. She walks with enthusiasm in every step, her passion for the field oozing out of her.

"It's good to be here." You answer approaching her.

"We're happy to have you. Come, let's go to the main office first." She gesture for you to follow.

At the office, she hands you a card. "So this is your ID. Make sure to bring it every day. For now you'll be taking over the Q&A stand shift at the Egyptian exhibit, but with your credentials you should be ready for speaker fairly soon."

"Thank you," You say flattered. "I'll give it my all!"

You hear the door swing open suddenly. "Marie for the love of God I know, I know, you did not eat my ed- new hire?" He noticed you at last.

"Yes, Alvin, this is the new hire." Professor Wiseman says widening her eyes. "And no I didn't eat it. You did. This is y/n, she's starting today in Egypt Q&A."

"Oh, nice to meet you, y/n." He lends out his hand and you shake it. "I'm Dr. Alvin Einstein. I've been here longer then she has, so don't hesitate to come to me if you need anything. Don't worry about today. You're gonna kill it."

"Thank you."

It was only somewhat reassuring. How could you not worry? But it's your dream. If you don't get through today it won't be your every day. So you take a deep breath, and make your way to the Egyptian exhibit.