"Hey." She said into the receiver when he picked up.

"Madison, hey. You okay?"

Madison felt too tired to pretend today and so she went straight to the point, "I don't even know how I'm feeling right now. Damien still hasn't replied to my letters." She finished bitterly.

There was complete silence and then he spoke up again, "Wait...letters? What do you mean by that?"

"Yes, Alvarez. I sent two letters, okay? The first one, and another follow up letter. I know you're going to be angry at my decision, but you should know how important this is to me. You know this. Like I said I sent another letter. I was worried that maybe he didn't get the first one, or maybe he did and he chose to ignore it, and whichever the reason is, it sucks. But then I had to send a follow-up, Alvarez. I- I needed to do it and..."

She heard Alvarez sigh heavily, listening raptly and saying after she was done, "It's okay, Maddie. It's okay."

"No, it's not okay." She shot back, her voice increasing as she continued, "It's not okay and you know it. He's ignoring them, I know he is. Because he can't even stand to have any form of communication with me, even if it is just a letter. He can't speak to me face to face, and more so he doesn't want to reply my letters. Guess I already have my answer then." She scoffed.

"Madison..." Alvarez called softly but she was not having any of it.

As she had said those words out loud, it was making her realize that her thinking was probably just the truth, and her chest clenched heavily.

"You want to know what I think about all this? Maybe I should just stop it. Maybe there's no point. I have lost all hope on this, and I know deep in my bones that at this point, there is no hope of ever reconciling with Damien. I-It's the truth..."

"Hey, hey, Madison. Listen to me, okay? I know you're having a rough time, but don't say things like that. Come on surely you don't mean it."

"Why not? Why wouldn't I miss it when it's the truth?" She spat, "You also know it's the truth, isn't it? You and I both know it."

"Madison...listen, okay? Let's—let's not jump into conclusions okay? Give it some time. Don't talk like that okay? I know you're hurting but let's give it some..."

"Time, time, it's ticking already. I have my answers, and now I have to stop with matters concerning him."

"Madison. Please... I'm not in support of what he did, but then..."

"But it's the truth!" Madison wasn't sure why her voice was a notch higher or why her chest had begun to bubble. But she couldn't help but feel so... angry. "Do you see any hope of Damien and I ever going back to being on good terms? No you don't, and it's the truth. I just need to stop at this point. You were not in support of me sending letters, and now you're talking as if you want us to get back together. I just don't get it."

Alvarez was silent for a while, "Look Maddie..."

"Just, drop it. Okay? Let's just drop the conversation. I'm tired for real." She snapped even though she really didn't mean to but she just couldn't help herself.

She felt like she was going crazy.

She cut the call abruptly, without even bidding him farewell and for the second time since she woke up this morning, she felt tears prick the back of her eyes.

.......

The cool breeze that blew through the windows and into Damien's room would have made anyone shiver, but Damien took no notice as he sat shirtless on the sofa across his wine bar, taking sips of whiskey from a glass.