chapter thirty five.

Welcome back — Ali Gatie

  CYNTHIA LACED HER HAND WITH MIGUEL'S as they walked up to West Valley. He had started walking again, without crutches which, meant she really didn't have an excuse to not go to school anymore. If she was honest, she had no idea what they were, and they hadn't really talked about it.

She just knew that they were there for each other, and that was really all she needed.

"You ready for this, Miggy?" She questioned with a sigh, staring at the entrance.

"As ready as i'll ever be." He replied, both of them moving in sync as they walked inside.

It felt as the whole school was looking at them, or at least, looking at Miguel, and Cyn hated the attention. She quickly dropped the boys hand and put her bag into the bin for the metal detector trying to keep her eyes on the ground. They were no doubt all talking about the fight again.

... and all she wanted to do was forget about it.

Then as both the teens gathered their things and walked through, people started clapping?

A "welcome back, Miguel" sign was hung up on the main banister, and people continued to cheer for him as he walked closer. Cynthia was by his side, and without hesitation, he grabbed her hand once again. She smiled up at him, and her body relaxed slightly, knowing things would be alright.

"Looks like someone is popular." The Sari girl spoke with a gentle smile, both of them turning the corner.

"El serpient—" Hawk was about to yell his friends name when he paused for a moment, shaking off his surprise. "What'd they do, give you bionic legs or some shit?"

"Nope, same old boring human legs." Miguel responded awkwardly, knowing at one point or another, the situation would be addressed. "We obviously need to talk about—"

... and saved by the bell, the ringing, and crowds of students filling the hall saved them from an absolutely awkward moment.

THE BRIGHT SIDE ABOUT OFFICIALLY BEING BACK at school was the fact that Cyn could see Demetri. It had been awhile since they caught up, considering that she had been more caught up in helping Miguel rather than her texts or calls. She felt bad, of course but, now, she could focus on other things too.

Just no karate.

"I see I missed a lot." She noted, pointing at the boys cast. "Trip and fall out of the bathtub?"

She was joking, obviously but, the boys face stayed absolutely serious.

"This was all courtesy of Eli." He admitted, laying his arm flat on the table they were sitting at. "You've missed a lot since you've been m.i.a."

"What do you mean Eli did this?" Cynthia's eyes widened at the mention of it, knowing he had just seen her and Miguel, and acted like he did nothing wrong.