Level: 3

Unedited

It's like dying.

The brain becomes subconscious as the virus takes over. It's painful. Intense. It acts as a neurological disease, targeting the motor functions of the brain which causes the person infected to stumble and lose balance. All while corrupting the limbic system which causes them to become bipolar and agressive, and seizing the hypothalamus, causing increased hunger.

In any other scenario, he would've died. Or essentially, became brain dead. Yet, because of how the virus operates, attacking the brain but not harming it, it acts as a controlled mechanism. It abducts the human control center and the body becomes a host. A thoughtless, hungry, angry, host.

For Jung Hoseok, this isn't exactly the case. He is still consciously present, at least some times. He's able to gain control for a few minutes, he's able to fight it. He can think. He can understand. Yet he can't fight it for long. Is it because of a mutation or or immunity? It's impossible to know, now.

"Is he up?" He can hear them.

"No, he's still sleeping." He doesn't sleep. It feels like he's having nightmares every second. This can't be the 'sweet dreams' so many speak of.

"Should we feed him?" Yes. Please feed me. I'm starving.

"No. We'll wait until he wakes up." I am up.

"What about bathing him? Hyung, he needs a bath!"

"We all do. He's just too much of a risk. What if someone gets bitten."

I won't bite. I could never hurt any of you.

They sound like they're under water. He struggles to make out the rest of their conversation. It's difficult to hear. He's gradually losing control.

"What if he doesn't change back? We can't keep him on a leash forever."

"Then we'll......-or set him free."

"But hyung-....." I'm hungry. Please. I need to eat.

Something. Anything. Please-

A loud scream is heard throughout the camp as they fall to the dirt. Hurriedly, they crawl backwards and draw their guns. The chains jingle restlessly against the metal of the car as Hoseok growls thirstily behind his gag, mouth salivating. His grey eyes look soulless, skin dirtied with dried blood and caked dirt. He growls again, attempting to reach them depsite his bounded hands.

"What happened?!" Rushed footsteps approach them as they begin gathering themselves from the ground.

Shakily, one of them answers. "W-we were only looking. H-he was alseep but then suddenly jumped at us."

"Didn't I tell you two to stay away from him?!" Seokjin yells, pointing at the zombie chained to the car.

The two in question, Taehyung and Jimin, nod. Yes, they were told to stay away. Everyone was. It was better to watch Hoseok from a distance. There's too much risk up close. Clearly, they don't care.

"You guys have got to stop being so irresponsible," Namjoon chimes in, out of breath from rushing over. "You run off to drink in the forest, now you're playing with him as if he's some jack in the box toy?"

"N-no! We weren't playing. We were going to feed him-" Jimin attempts to explain but immediately gets cut off by Yoongi.

"Feed him? Let Jiwoo take care of that. We barely have any food as it is, Jimin." Then he glances at Hoseok with saddened eyes.