Chopsticks

a/n: cover art/inspiration is from @milktea_grn on twitter <3

Chopsticks have always been considered perfect pairs for each other. In some cultures, matching chopsticks are even given as gifts to newly married couples, as a way of saying 'you two were made for each other' or 'you two are a perfect match'.

Did Dream and George know this when they bought matching chopsticks?

Not a clue. 

By the time they had found out, Dream had already purchased a matching set of blue and green chopsticks, each one decorated with pictures of orchids- yet another symbolic meaning they seemed to have missed. Orchids are considered the flower of love in Chinese culture.

The most ironic part of this situation wasn't even their lack of understanding of what the chopsticks represented- but the fact that Dream didn't even know how to use chopsticks. That wouldn't be a problem though, seeing that George of course promised to teach him.

Well, that was until George realized how absolutely hopeless Dream was.

"Dream, seriously, just use the training thing!" George scolded, trying to grab Dream's chopsticks out of his hands.

"No! I swear I've almost got it- look!" Dream pushed away George's hand with a laugh, successfully balancing a piece of sushi on his chopsticks for a solid 2.5 seconds before it fell back to the plate.

"Dream. Use the damn trainers." George repeated, holding out the small tool.

"That's for babies. Plus, you promised you would teach me. I shouldn't need that if you just teach me like you said you would." Dream furrowed his brows, pointing at George with his chopsticks.

In Dream's defense, the training tool really was for young children. It was shaped like a dinosaur and his fingers were too big to fit into the small rings.

"I've told you how to do it fifteen times!" George exclaimed with a laugh, reaching out and adjusting Dream's fingers around the utensils again.

"Putting them in my hand the right way and actually teaching me how to use them are two different things." Dream said with a laugh, already losing his grip on them again.

"This is how I was taught, I don't know what more you expect from me." George huffed, not even bothering to go back to his own seat across the table this time when he saw Dream fumbling with the chopsticks again.

"Just- let me watch you do it." Dream sighed, setting down his chopsticks and turning in his seat to face George.

"You've been watching-"

"I'll pay closer attention this time." Dream insisted, focusing on George's hands.

George held back his remarks, deciding there was no point in arguing at the end of the day. He reluctantly adjusted his own chopsticks, picking up a piece of sushi and then setting it back down.

"You didn't eat it." Dream stated, looking confused at George.

"Why do I need to eat it?" George asked, reaching out to pick up the piece again.

"Because you have to, like, twist your wrist and shit when you bring it to your mouth- that's when I always drop it. I want to see how you do it." Dream explained, poorly demonstrating with his own chopsticks the part he was struggling with.

George rolled his eyes, picking up the same piece of sushi and eating it this time. He turned to Dream with very unenthused jazz hands, sarcastically celebrating completing such a simple task.