Chapter 25 | breakdown

Start from the beginning

"That sick bastard, THAT FUCKING SHITHEAD- I knew it, I knew he was abusing you too I just didn't know how. I HATE HIM! I HATE HIM! I WANT HIM DEAD! I WISH IT WAS HIM AND NOT MUM!" Adrien cried, so many emotions raging through him at once.

Sadness, betrayal, anger, vengeance, shock. All at once, his body reduced to tears and hot headed rage.

"Shhh! I understand this is hard but- don't alert him" Nathalie shushed, her voice shaking trying to hold it together.

Seeing Adrien on the verge of a breakdown broke her heart. She knew Emilie would be devastated like she was.

"I want to- to... I want to take that stupid miraculous and- wait-" Adrien rambled.

Suddenly two dots connected in his head. That night Mayura approached him as cat noir, and asked for help. HE was the son, HE was the one she was trying to save.

"I'm the son. I'm the one you- I should have known the stories were so similar-" Adrien muttered, so carried away by emotions he didn't even realise he'd just outed himself as cat noir.

Nathalie caught in quick, there was no way Adrien could know about that night unless he was there. And the only masc presenting one there that night, was cat noir.

"You... of course. Of course you are... that's how you sneak out all the time..." Nathalie muttered, a mix of shocked and happy.

This made things a lot easier actually, if he was cat noir it make working this plan a lot easier. Suddenly Adrien realised he'd just outed himself, and slapped his hands over his mouth in horror. Immediately he panicked, already overwhelmed.

"Wait no- I mean, d-don't tell dad. Please, please don't tell him. DON'T TELL ANYONE! My life will be over, he'll just try and hurt me more-" Adrien panicked.

"Calm down! I'm not telling him. In fact I'm glad you're Cat Noir, that makes everything so much easier. I'm not telling him, I'd never. It's you I'm trying to save here" Nathalie replied, putting her hands reassuringly on her shoulders.

Adrien knew he could trust Nathalie, but the fear of the situation still worried him.

"What I'm trying to do, is with your help and Ladybugs get the miraculous off Gabriel and get you out of his custody. I'll take legal custody of you if I have to, but I'm not letting him touch you again. I talked with Lukas parents and they're willing to keep you with them if things get bad. You have places to go, so don't panic. You're going to get out of here Adrien, I promise" Nathalie assured.

Adrien just continued to sob, he was glad Nathalie was trying to help him but the whole situation was terrifying. His father a supervillain and a risky escape plan was a lot to deal with.

"And... I'm sure you figured it out by now but... the real reason your mother died. It's the miraculous, she used it when it was broken too many times and the sickness caught up with her. I stopped before it got that bad, I promised her I'd never use it but... I broke that promise. I don't indent on breaking another. She made me swear to protect you, and I will. I'm staying alive to get you out of here Adrien. Emilie wants you safe so I'm keeping you safe" Nathalie explained, tears threatening to fall down her cheeks too.

"I knew her death was suspicious... I knew it. Did dad force her too?" Adrien asked.

"I don't know... I really don't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry you have to go through all this, I'm sorry you had to find out like this, I'm sorry for the parts I contributed to. I'm sorry for everything Adrien, I'm so so sorry"

While a part of him was mad she hurt people as Mayura, he knew not all of it was her fault. And she was very clearly genuine and trying to fix things. Adrien couldn't stay mad at her, she was the only thing he had left that resembled family. And she was trying to help.

"That's everything... I'm sorry Adrien" She sighed.

"It's... ok. I'd find out eventually. I'm glad I found out from you rather than a news report or in battle" Adrien choked on his words.

"You can run off to Luka if you want, I know you need him"

Adrien nodded, eager to just leave the house where his dad was only a floor down and see the one person who could make everything feel better. He gave Nathalie a hug, showing her he wasn't going to hold anything against her and he understood.

"You're a better parent than he ever was, my other mum" Adrien sniffled.

"Thank you, that means the world to me" Nathalie replied.

The hug broke, and Adrien was about to go insane if he didn't get out. He turned on his heels, transformed and leapt out the window to run off to Luka. If Nathalie didn't believe he was cat noir before, she did now after seeing it for herself. It was kind of surreal to know it was him all along. She watched him leave, and finally all the pressure fell off her shoulders asn she let the tears fall.

She felt so bad for everything, and making him upset. But she knew he had to do this, and knowing he thought of her as a second mum was enough to reassure her she did right. She just lay back into the pillows, and cried for the rest of the night. She wished Emilie was here...

Adrien ran as fast as his legs could carry him across the rooftops and down to Lukas place, transforming into his normal self in an alleyway before rushing to the docks and knocking at the door. He was hysterical at this point, but he knew he'd be let in, even this late.

Anarka answers the door as she was up watching the news, and the moment she saw Adrien she knew what had happened.

"Oh sweetie... come in" she said.

Having heard everything from down the hallway, Luka jumped out of bed where he was reading and rushed down the hallway into the main room. His frantic footsteps altering Adrien and he rushed over to meet in halfway in the middle of the room. Luka pulled him tightly into his arms, placing a kiss on his forehead.

"I knew this would happen, I've got you Adrien, I've got you..." he reassured.

The noise altered Jueleka too, who poked her head around the doorframe to see what was going on. The whole family worried for the blonde they already viewed at as son in law.

All Adrien could do was cry. That kind of panicked, frantic crying that makes you take sharp breaths and cough when the cold air hits your throat. The crying that sounds like pure fear and pain. Luka held him tight, trying his best to calm his boyfriend.

"I know you had to hear something horrible, and I know there's plans to get you to safety. But what happened sunshine, tell me everything. Or nothing... if that's better" Luka said, a serious tone in his voice.

"M-my dad..." Adrien stammered.

"Oh god... what's he done?"

"He hasn't laid his hands on you has he? I'll beat him to a pulp with my damn keyboard if I have to" Anarka threatened.

"Mum- please-" Luka said, not wanting anything to get out of hand.

Adrien looked up at him, eyes bloodshot, tears streaming down his face. Nose reddened from crying, and a completely broken look in his eyes.

"My dad... he's been hawkmoth this whole time..." Adrien choked out.

Lukas soul almost left his body. He knew Gabriel was bad but... supervillain bad?

"What?" He gasped.

Anarka and Jueleka didn't even know what to say, they weren't expecting something THAT horrific. But it made sense why Nathalie was so worried and desperate to get Adrien away from him as quickly as possible.

Adrien just couldn't hold back anymore, every single emotion he felt just came tumbling out as he gripped onto Luka, burying his head in his shirt, knees buckling and going weak in his boyfriends arms. Luka lowered to the ground with him, sitting melted on the floor pulling every limb and body part of Adrien up against him and wrapping him up in the tightest hug he could. He truly had no idea what to do, other than let Adrien cry and get everything out.

Those cries, those screaming in pain cries, they broke his heart.