Chapter 39 | past feelings

A/n: no lemons for Lukadrien. They are kids. But EmiNath? They're adults and can do adult things. So warning that the next chapter is NSFW and very gay.

It was late, and so far they'd heard nothing from Gabriel. They all knew shit would hit the fan soon, within the next few days at least. But right now everyone hiding away at Jagged's place was taking the time to relax in the calmness before the storm. Luka and Adrien had gone to bed, and last the adults checked in on them they were asleep, tangled up together in a mess of limbs clinging to each other.

The stress hadn't been good for Nathalie's health, and Emilie knew she'd be feeling awful. She too had the same sickness before she died and ultimately came back. Worried, Emilie had gotten out of bed in the guest room to head over to the other one Nathalie was staying in. Knocking on the door, she cracked it open to see Nathalie still awake but ready for bed.

"What's wrong Em?" Nathalie asked.

"Just worried... about you" she replied, stepping in and closing the door behind her.

Nathalie sat up, chest wheezy from coughing and leaned up against the pillows. Emilie sat at the end of her bed, reminded of old times when they'd talk into the night together.

"It's not terminal. I stopped using the miraculous before that could happen... it'll be ok" Nathalie assured.

"Nathalie you're permanently damaged because of this. You'll be chronically ill for the rest of your life, I'm so furious with Gabriel for making you use it even though he knew full well what would happen" Emilie sighed.

"Em, I did it willingly at first. I got myself into this, I wanted you back. I was willing to sacrifice my health for it, I can still fight, I can still walk and talk and move around. I just... get sore sometimes now"

Emilie knew what the peacock sickness felt like, she'd been though it. She knew Nathalie was playing her pain down for the sake of assuring her, but at least it wasn't terminal.

"Nathalie I know you're in pain" Emilie said.

"And I have treatment, flare ups can be controlled. I'm alright, I promise" Nathalie replied.

Nathalie was stubborn, Emilie knew that well. Even though she'd worry, she knew that Nathalie was a fighter and could get through flare ups. But knowing how much the sickness hurt, Emilie still felt bad. She sighed, feeling like this was her fault even though she knew it wasn't. She didn't know she'd die when she used that miraculous, she didn't know it could get that bad.

It was Gabriel who caused all this, the man she used to love but couldn't bring herself to even look at nowadays. Not after what he did to her baby boy Adrien, and her best friend Nathalie.

Best friend...

"Nathalie... remember that night? A few weeks before I died" Emilie asked.

Nathalie immediately knew which one she was talking about, the night they kissed.

"Y-yes. I remember it well..." Nathalie replied, a slight blush on her cheeks.

"You were so quick to accept my impulsive offer. Even though you knew it would technically be cheating since I'm still legally married... why did you?" Emilie asked.

Nathalie immediately had Adrien's words ring in her mind. About how she promised she'd tell his mother the truth. Now was her chance, and even though she was nervous, she'd waited so long and worked so hard to get Emilie back. Now was the time.

"Because... I didn't feel guilty it was technically cheating. Not after what Gabriel was doing, you'd been emotionally broken up with him for a long time by then. I was so quick because... b-because I'd always wanted to kiss you..." Nathalie explained.

Emilie was silent a moment, taking those words in. In truth, she always knew Nathalie had feelings for her, she'd realised a while into her marriage. It was once things started going down hill Emilie started to wonder, had she picked the wrong person? Nathalie was right there the whole time, and she hadn't even considered it because well... they were both girls. Emilie hadn't thought about her sexuality until then. But that night when they kissed, she knew. She had picked the wrong person, she should have picked Nathalie all those years ago.

"Nat... why didn't you take me before Gabriel could?" Emilie asked.

"I was scared I guess... you seemed so hung up on him I thought I'd get rejected. Plus... when you started dating I didn't want to ruin your happiness" Nathalie explained.

"So you watched from the sidelines even though it hurt you?"

"...yeah. I just wanted you to be happy, and you were. Until..."

Now Emilie was alive again, and she'd been exposed to how horrible Gabriel was, she had no intention of going back to him. When he inevitably came to try and get her back, she was throwing divorce papers in his face, taking Adrien and leaving. They may still be legally married, but they'd been emotionally divorced a long, long time. Emilie knew now, she was meant to be with Nathalie.

"Nathalie you've taken care me and my son, helped run the business and the household, gone around the world with me... you've always been there for me... I can't thank you enough for everything you've done. And... I understand now that I should have picked you, it was always you..." Emilie admitted.

Was this really happening? Nathalie could hardly believe it, he'd heart raced and her cheeks went red. Did Emilie actually... love her back? After all these years did she finally have a chance?

"Em-" Nathalie began.

"Nathalie be my wife. And be Adrien's second mother, you basically already are at this point. I don't care about Gabriel anymore, he's dead to me after all he's done. I want you, and looking back I have for a while. I should have picked you then, but you can't change the past so I'm picking you now... please be with me Nathalie" Emilie spat out, all those pent up feelings she'd been holding in as her marriage crumbled finally spilling out.

Nathalie almost wanted to cry, finally hearing the words she'd longed for for so long. Emilie was finally hers.

"I'd raise the dead just to be with you Emilie. I love you, I always have" Nathalie admitted.

"I love you, I should have picked you earlier. I've always loved you"

So many years of pent up yearning finally came spilling out, the two were on each other like two magnets stuck together. Their lips met, feeling just as good as that late night kiss all those years ago. Nathalie could taste her own lip balm Emilie had borrowed that day on her lips, Emilie was enticed by how gentle Nathalie touched her. If they weren't sure before, they definitely were now. They were always supposed to be with each other, things just went the wrong way before.

The kiss broke, the two gazed at each other as they caught their breath and processed the moment they'd just had.

"Nathalie..." Emilie said.

"Yeah?"

"Claim me, make me yours. I want all traces of Gabriel gone form me, make me your wife"

She wasn't expecting it so soon after Emilie being revived, but it was clear in all that time apart they'd grown to yearn so deeply for each other they just couldn't wait anymore. There was no way in hell Nathalie would let this chance go. The kids were asleep, their room was on the other end of the hall, they had privacy.

So why not cease the moment?

Nathalie took her glasses off, putting them on the bedside table and turned back to Emilie, who she pulled closer and looked dead in the eyes.

"You have no idea how badly I've wanted to do that to you..."